Blenny odd coloration and heavy breathing

Spudsmc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello friends, I’m trying to find a diagnosis for my bi color blenny, previously it’s been very active and eating ferociously, it’s been in the tank 3 weeks, tank mates are 2 clownfish, 1 Randall’s goby. in the matter of I’d say 5hrs it’s breathing heavily and quite lethargic, I noticed some odd coloration specifically around it’s belly and pectoral fins ( see attached )

I’m wondering what the cause could be? It looks as if it got burnt by something. Perhaps my elegance coral? The heater is in the sump so that’s not a possibility.
I was also thinking it could be constipation or parasite???
All other tank inhabitants are doing well.

Keep in mind this picture was taken at night and i turned on the white light manually.

Tank parameters:

Tank age: 3months

Temp: 77.5

Salinity: 1.026

ALK: 7.7

CAL: 390

Mag: 1280

NO3: 5ppm

PO4: 0.02
IMG_2402.jpeg

Last edited:

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello friends, I’m trying to find a diagnosis for my bi color blenny, previously it’s been very active and eating ferociously, it’s been in the tank 3 weeks, tank mates are 2 clownfish, 1 Randall’s goby. in the matter of I’d say 5hrs it’s breathing heavily and quite lethargic, I noticed some odd coloration specifically around it’s belly and pectoral fins ( see attached )

I’m wondering what the cause could be? It looks as if it got burnt by something. Perhaps my elegance coral? The heater is in the sump so that’s not a possibility.
I was also thinking it could be constipation or parasite???
All other tank inhabitants are doing well.

Keep in mind this picture was taken at night and i turned on the white light manually.

Tank parameters:

Tank age: 3months

Temp: 77.5

Salinity: 1.026

ALK: 7.7

CAL: 390

Mag: 1280

NO3: 5ppm

PO4: 0.02
IMG_2402.jpeg

Welcome to Reef2Reef!

While it might have gotten stung by the elegance coral, because it is new to the tank means that it could have a disease issue.

Lethargy, rapid breathing and skin discoloration all at the same time means that the issue is "systemic" - involving the entire fish.

Can you isolate the fish in a basket/acclimation tank? That would at least keep it from getting stung by the coral. To treat a disease though, you would need a hospital tank.

Jay

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 21.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 73 34.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 70 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back