Blind

smlarson72

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought a beautiful Sailfin tang. We added her to our tank and we noticed she wasn’t acting right. She kept hitting her nose on the rocks, glass - just about anything. I thought maybe she was stressed and would settle down. We waited a long while and started to watch her again. She has continued to hit the rocks, tank wall, heaters. Then we watched her run headfirst into our puffer - numerous times. I put the net down in the tank and it did not phase her (all my other fish scattered). I got her out and she is in the sump. So upset.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Photos would really be helpful.
generally three reasons this will happen:
a- high ammonia
b- Flukes
c- Injury.

To eliminate item b, Give the fish a freshwater dip in a clean preferable dark bucket for 5 mins or if it gets very ornery beforehand. Assure the temperature is same as display tank and add a pinch of baking soda for ph. Return it to display tank.
Look on bottom of container for what looks like sesame seeds or fish scales- Those are flukes.
If nothing- good, no flukes. Next is ammonia and nitrate- verify those. IF using an API kit, you may be getting false readings in which they are higher than results are showing. Get a second opinion from a trusted pet store that does NOT use API kits for testing. Do a 30% water change regardless.
If water is verified Good, treatment would be ethromyacin which is known also as Maracyn 1. PetsMart I believe carries this stuff

OP
OP
smlarson72

smlarson72

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
a- high ammonia
b- Flukes
c- Injury.

To eliminate item b, Give the fish a freshwater dip in a clean preferable dark bucket for 5 mins or if it gets very ornery beforehand. Assure the temperature is same as display tank and add a pinch of baking soda for ph. Return it to display tank.
Look on bottom of container for what looks like sesame seeds or fish scales- Those are flukes.
If nothing- good, no flukes. Next is ammonia and nitrate- verify those. IF using an API kit, you may be getting false readings in which they are higher than results are showing. Get a second opinion from a trusted pet store that does NOT use API kits for testing. Do a 30% water change regardless.
If water is verified Good, treatment would be ethromyacin which is known also as Maracyn 1. PetsMart I believe carries this stuff
I do use an API. When I just tested they came back at 0. Here are some pictures I was able to get.

Attachments

• C62BCB30-F5DE-4477-B9DB-160AC34C0EA8.jpeg
    C62BCB30-F5DE-4477-B9DB-160AC34C0EA8.jpeg
    138.7 KB · Views: 60
  • 15EAD80F-F5EC-41A0-AAE5-F5E335CF9812.jpeg
    15EAD80F-F5EC-41A0-AAE5-F5E335CF9812.jpeg
    148.9 KB · Views: 54
  • 7FB41E64-E857-4D8F-A006-C26481BDBBA1.jpeg
    7FB41E64-E857-4D8F-A006-C26481BDBBA1.jpeg
    133.6 KB · Views: 61

resortez

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
a- high ammonia
b- Flukes
c- Injury.

I second this.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
What???
Eyes not cloudy...hmmm
If you have a nem... stinging is possible but this may be sepsis or even a stroke which happens with yellow tangs.
Let’s get a second opinion

@Jay Hemdal

OP
OP
smlarson72

smlarson72

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What???
Eyes not cloudy...hmmm
If you have a nem... stinging is possible but this may be sepsis or even a stroke which happens with yellow tangs.

@Jay Hemdal
I got her from my
Do you believe the fish was blind when you received it? Was this an online order or LFS
Do you believe the fish was blind when you received it? Was this an online order or LFS?
Sorry. My phone went crazy. I got her from my LFS. I buy all my fish from them. I’ve never had a problem with them. They had said she was acting a little funny but we were thinking it was because she was on an end tank. There weren’t any rocks in there with her. I asked if she was eating and they told me she was. They offered to feed her but I told them I trusted them, which I do. I called and talked to them on the phone. They said I can bring her back and they will switch her out if I want. They said they will put her back in their hospital tank and monitor her.

OP
OP
smlarson72

smlarson72

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What???
Eyes not cloudy...hmmm

@Jay Hemdal
I do have nems in the tank. I didn’t see her go near them. They are tucked down in the rocks.

Attachments

• 8501F80C-08D5-4397-A70A-BA37F4984677.jpeg
    8501F80C-08D5-4397-A70A-BA37F4984677.jpeg
    225.7 KB · Views: 50

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I got her from my

Sorry. My phone went crazy. I got her from my LFS. I buy all my fish from them. I’ve never had a problem with them. They had said she was acting a little funny but we were thinking it was because she was on an end tank. There weren’t any rocks in there with her. I asked if she was eating and they told me she was. They offered to feed her but I told them I trusted them, which I do. I called and talked to them on the phone. They said I can bring her back and they will switch her out if I want. They said they will put her back in their hospital tank and monitor her.
Take advantage of that

OP
OP
smlarson72

smlarson72

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Take advantage of that
Take advantage of that
My husband took her back today. We took a video showing her swim right into the black net to show them what she is doing. The owner put her back in their hospital tank. They are going to give me another Sailfin Tang. Poor thing! She was beautiful!

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Take advantage of that

My husband took her back today. We took a video showing her swim right into the black net to show them what she is doing. The owner put her back in their hospital tank. They are going to give me another Sailfin Tang. Poor thing! She was beautiful!
I agree but all sailfins are a beauty
3EE081D6-45FD-48EB-89A4-5121785CD316.jpeg
08F3C491-09CD-4CDE-B61F-1A1AA10FC658.jpeg

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 56 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 29 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 35.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.6%
Back