Blindness?

Adequate

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So eyes my scorpionfish seems to have gotten cloudy eyes (the left more so than the right, so maybe half-blindness?), and comes out into the open a lot more, right up to the glass, whereas it used to be very secretive and stay hidden for days. Also, it seems to be unresponsive to visual stimuli, so it might not be getting any food either. Curiously, I had a cardinalfish in the same tank that also had clouded eyes, before it died. So now, the scorpionfish has the affliction, and I dunno, maybe it's only a matter of time before he kicks the bucket too...

IMG_7296.JPG
IMG_7299.JPG

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have a couple of thoughts here. Have you treated the fish for flukes? One species of flukes predominates laying eggs within the eyes. Prazipro or General Cure can work but these sometimes require stronger measures when flukes are deep within tissue. Going hypo is the next level of treatment.

Treating bacterial infections of the eyes is usually successful with Erythromycin.

OP
OP
A

Adequate

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the advice, guys.

But unfortunately, I found the little guy dead this morning...

80129B02-590B-439B-811E-3DE2CF3A1359.jpeg

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for your loss. :(
If you still have the fish, you can give it a freshwater dip to see if flukes come off and then you'll know what's in your tank.

OP
OP
A

Adequate

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve preserved it in a jar of methylated spirits, so maybe that’ll do the same?

Now I just hope the remaining fish in the tank don’t get the affliction too.

OP
OP
A

Adequate

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As I feared, it seems that the rest of the fish are also on the chopping board...

8091228B-1806-4090-B0C3-4FF7FD6B14AE.jpeg

I’ve had a pair of spotted mandarins in the tank for a few months now, and they’ve been doing great... or at least they were. The one in the image is starting to show signs of the same infection that killed the other fishes; namely the cloudy eyes. I’m gonna see if I can get a better look at her, and quarantine her if need be. I may also remove all other fish from the tank and quarantine them separately, monitoring and treating them if the infection is present in all of them. I’m think maybe cuprimine and/or a freshwater dip, plus something to disinfect the whole tank with (I’ve got inverts in the tank too). I think whatever is killing them may have come from the macroalgae I collected from the river.... it’s definitely not the first time I’ve accidentally introduced some sort of pathogen from wild material....

OP
OP
A

Adequate

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: turns out that mandarin in the picture was already dead.... the other mandarin is looking pretty roughed up too. It appears that it got infected and also attacked by the crabs in the tank in its weakened state. Right now, it's twitching and starting to turn on its side, so I think we all know what'll happen.... the only fish that remains is a small goby. I suppose, now, that my main object is to treat the goby and disinfect the whole tank.

IMG_7358.JPG

Terri Caton

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: turns out that mandarin in the picture was already dead.... the other mandarin is looking pretty roughed up too. It appears that it got infected and also attacked by the crabs in the tank in its weakened state. Right now, it's twitching and starting to turn on its side, so I think we all know what'll happen.... the only fish that remains is a small goby. I suppose, now, that my main object is to treat the goby and disinfect the whole tank.

IMG_7358.JPG

I’m sorry for what you’re going through. Fish loss is horrible.

OP
OP
A

Adequate

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What’s the best options for disinfecting the tank of whatever is killing them?

Terri Caton

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it depends on what you have in your tank. The best option is always to break down the tank, clean Everything with Chlorine, then start over. Especially if you don't know what you are dealing with.

However, from a bacterial point of view you could probably do a course of Metroplex directly into the tank. Then run activated carbon to clear it out. Inverts could stay in the tank.
I'd ask on a forum here though. The experts should be able to give you a better answer. Or you could call Seachem and ask them about Metroplex and treating a tank.

Any surviving fish could be treated in QT while this is being done.

OP
OP
A

Adequate

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right now I have LR, sand, macroalgae and mangroves in the tank. Livestock wise, some snails, crabs, a goby and some feeder shrimp for the scorpionfish. I have a spare 13 gallon tank i could dump them all in if need be.

I would just nuke the tank with chlorine, but I really don't wanna destroy the bacteria on the LR or sand. I'll look into Metroplex tho...

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 42 28.6%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.4%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 40 27.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 52 35.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 5.4%
Back