Bloated frog fish

kakee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My frog fish is abnormally boated not sure if it’s he ate about five 1 1/2 inch fish about 3 days ago but just started getting really swollen could he have gulped air?
1520763E-771A-4D0C-84ED-5164DB79E0A9.jpeg

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Once acclimated properly it's not likely he gulped air. He may have been overfed and what you see is a build up of digestive gases. One helpful remedy is to increase mg to 1600ppm. If you haven't been testing and maintaining reef level mg, I would suggest doing so. I never dose anything without testing, although mg is pretty safe. It's best to raise mg 100ppm daily until you reach 1600ppm. It's safe to maintain 1400ppm to help with digestion in the future. Do not feed again until the stomach has gone down and he becomes actively hunting for food, a week to 10 days at least.

Also, what type of fish are you feeding, I hope not rosies, as this can present a deadly end.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another option is depending on the size/age of the fish, it could be an egg mass. If it had gulped that much air, it would not be able to stay at the bottom, and would likely rotate belly up.

Jay

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another option is depending on the size/age of the fish, it could be an egg mass. If it had gulped that much air, it would not be able to stay at the bottom, and would likely rotate belly up.

Jay

Mg may also help with releasing eggs. Maintaining reef level ca is also a good idea. Air or digestive gases would both form a buoyancy. You can also do a gentle massage as if to burp, and if it's spongy it would be air or gases, and if eggs it would be harder. The more likely culprit is overfeeding, as this happens all the time. Boosting mg could help in either circumstance. And a massage could help with a burp to expel any air, just in case it's that,

Last edited:

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oxytocin injections work to release eggs (if they haven't already hardened off) but that requires a veterinarian and yiou need to weigh the fish.

Jay

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 6 6.7%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 4.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 5.6%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 70 77.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 5.6%

Back