Blob and Worms

crabgrass

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pulled up one of my rocks today while doing a deep clean and discovered this disaster. What is this? Should I remove

CritterID-9-9-23.png

Rtaylor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The white tube is from a feather duster most likely. The blob I’m less sure, but if forced to guess…some sort of sponge?

Steve and his Animals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not the best picture, but the "blob" is likely a tunicate/sea squirt. Check the top for a couple round openings. Tunicates are actually reasonably closely related to us, as they are chordates, not invertebrates. I also vote for a white-light pic in water.

OP
OP
crabgrass

crabgrass

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I moved respositioned the rock in question, and today i discovered this popping out. Could that semi-translucent blob been a Nem? This rock has been in my tank 1+ years (and last piece i put in it).

IMG-2564.jpg IMG-2563.jpg

Last edited:

F i s h y

2nd In Command.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very well could be a type of nem. The blob did resemble a closed nem and the recent shots look like a nem but I'm not knowledgeable enough to offer an ID. Perhaps one of the #Cronies can take a look?
The rock appears to be gulf rock or keys rock by the appearance and presence of the bivalve on the bottom. The nem reminds me of either a warty sea anemone or a light bulb anemone.

OP
OP
crabgrass

crabgrass

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks so much. Interesting detective work. If indeed this is a nem, it’s been living on the bottom of a rock for 12+ months with no light. Could I safetly expose it to light on another side of the tank?

I have a few fish, no negative interaction with them?

OP
OP
crabgrass

crabgrass

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
one the guess that it is a Warty Sea Nem, there was a pile of snails in close proximity to where the rock was. Is it possible that it was killing off some of the snails? It would happen occasionally early on, but the body count increased signicanfly the last several weeks. I thought there may have been something toxic growing in the tank

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could that semi-translucent blob been a Nem?
Definitely could be - the nem in your pics there has club-tipped tentacles, so it's either a ball anemone of some kind, or a club-tipped anemone (Telmatactis sp.).

Personally, I'm leaning toward a Telmatactis sp. (which are known to eat mollusks such as snails), but white light pics may help with an ID.

Some Telmatactis genus info:

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 11 7.7%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 25 17.5%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 95 66.4%
  • Neither.

Votes: 7 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.5%
Back