Blood Red Shrimp Acclimation

Reefnman2

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a pair of BR shrimp arriving tomorrow and was wondering how I should acclimate them, should I treat them as I do new fish (drip method) or is there a better idea? Thanks.

rkpetersen

walked the sand with the crustaceans
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree, it's a good idea to drip acclimate crustaceans relatively slowly (an hour or so.)
They can be sensitive to quick salinity changes.
Incidentally, sea stars and other echinoderms need to be acclimated even more slowly.

Bret Brinkmann

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've heard it's easier to adjust them to lower salinity than higher. One person on here said they don't adjust more than 0.001 SG per day. That is a great number. Makes for an easy target and therefore easy plan. Slow is a relative term and means different things to different people. If anyone has any measurements for the rate of salinity change I'd love to know what they are. I'm in the market for a shrimp too and want to make sure I do this right.

OP
OP
Reefnman2

Reefnman2

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well they arrived this morning, I acclimated them for 21/2 hours and placed them in my tank so far so good.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.2%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 29 16.7%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.4%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 75 43.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.6%
Back