Blood shrimp hiding

fLajNuT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I bought a fire shrimp about 3 weeks ago and he was just hiding in a little cave all the time. Never left and as far as I could tell never ate. I moved the rock work a bit to try to get him to come out but he just went into a hole in one of the rocks and I haven’t seen him since. I’ll even wake up in the middle of the night to get some water and I’ll take a look in the tank and he is nowhere to be found. My question, is there a way to get him to come out and eat so he doesn’t starve to death? Or should I just leave him be and it will be ok?

LiveWire

Master Electrician/Certified RODI Guru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My fire shrimp only comes out when I feed the system. Most likely he is fine and is eating whatever he can get in the middle of the night. They will also hide a lot when they molt as they are soft and would make a great snack for some fish. I would not worry about him too much. Is it possible that you may have a fish that would love shrimp for dinner as that would be another reason that he may be hiding.

OP
OP
fLajNuT

fLajNuT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My fire shrimp only comes out when I feed the system. Most likely he is fine and is eating whatever he can get in the middle of the night. They will also hide a lot when they molt as they are soft and would make a great snack for some fish. I would not worry about him too much. Is it possible that you may have a fish that would love shrimp for dinner as that would be another reason that he may be hiding.
I have 2 clowns and a purple firefish.

LiveWire

Master Electrician/Certified RODI Guru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 clowns and a purple firefish.
Those would not be a threat to the fire shrimp. You can try to spot feed to see if the shrimp comes out of hiding for the food so that you can at least know it is still in there. Once you confirm that I would just let it do its thing.

Funwithreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

mine is only 2 weeks old. For the first week he pretty much just hid. Now he comes out when I feed and runs around the tank like a crazy shrimp trying to get food. He molted last weekend and his for a while. But. Ow he’s back out and about. I’m sure he’s fine

Juniorh2r

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with livewire I have a pair they only come out when I feed. When I first got them they would never come out but it's normal you have nothing to worry about

Dragon52

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They tend to stay under cover but will come out every once in awhile. I've had mine for yrs & still think they have disappeared on me but eventually show up again.

reefwiser

LMAS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is normal for many marine shrimp. Except for cleaner shrimp. Blood Shrimp are red in color so they are not seen in the ocean so they are not eaten.

dking271

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine has been In my tank for about 3 weeks. I target feed mine and he has started to associate me with food. If I walk up to the tank he’ll come out to check me out. He doesn’t do that for anyone else. Also, he started to climb on my hand if I am moving corals around. It is normal for them to hide and stay under cover. I have found that skunk cleaners are out and about way more than Fire Shrimp.

Dragonreef202

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He may be in there . With this hobby you may not see everything all of the time. He may also be getting used to your tank and has found a place for him to be rather than coming out and roaming.

LAReefer4Life

Lover of Angelfish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All stated above is good info. Mine hides out but comes out during feeding time and at night when lights are off.

CasaReefer

Promoted To Sponge
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bet in just a short time he will recognize your the hand that feeds him and will come to the front of the tank when you walk up... mine does

OP
OP
fLajNuT

fLajNuT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So 3 weeks in now and still never see him. I know he’s alive though because I have seen his tentacles. Sticking out of the rock work. I’m thinking he is just going to be one that hides 24/7. Oh well.

Idoc

Getting lazier and lazier with upkeep!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a fire shrimp... he hides all day long, but comes out at feeding time to try and snag a bite to eat. I never think he gets any food, but he is healthy... so, he's getting food somewhere. I think I've had him about a year now.

Phycodurus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the fire shrimp may show more confidence with a second fire shrimp added to the tank (i believe Lysmata are somewhat gregarious).

... of course, if the second one hides too ...
[nervous laugh]

OP
OP
fLajNuT

fLajNuT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the fire shrimp may show more confidence with a second fire shrimp added to the tank (i believe Lysmata are somewhat gregarious).

... of course, if the second one hides too ...
[nervous laugh]
Yeah not sure I wanna drop another $50 on another blood shrimp. I am thinking of adding a skunk shrimp though. I read this may have the same effect to get the blood shrimp more out and about. If that attempt fails at least I have one shrimp that is out and about. I saw the fire shrimp between some rocks yesterday grabbing at some Mysis so I know he’s alive. Shy little guy I guess.

S2G

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
3 weeks is a short amount of time. It will probably come around with more time. They'll usually come out when you feed after they get comfortable. They don't really come out unless you feed though. If you have room a skunk cleaner is an awesome addition.

Terry Mattson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have a blood schrimp for over 5 months. Stays in the reef most of the time. The current takes food through the caves and I see him grab incoming food during feeding.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 145 88.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back