Blood Shrimp killed my Cleaner Shrimp?

paulhinrichsen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so to give you some background...

Im about 7 weeks into a Biocube 32, only living creatures are 12 snails, a blood shrimp and a cleaner shrimp which have all been in there for about 10 days.

Two days ago i adjusted my protein skimmer to move it a little further out of the water.
Yesturday at 8am when i went to work, there was TONS of microbubbles, i mean it was furiously pumping out bubbles into the tank, so i switched the knob on the skimmer and it seemed to cut the microbubbles out in about 30 seconds.

I leave for work and come back, and the Cleaner Shrimp who always sits on top of the same arch in my aquarium isnt there. The microbubbles are also feverishly pumping into the aquarium again, and likely were for hours while i was gone. Finally i can just barely see his antennae, and it looks like hes trapped between rocks but i cant see his body. I carefully pull the rocks away to get him out and he's dead. His body wasnt squished, but it looks like he was potentially pinned there. As soon as his body wasnt in betwen the rocks the blood shrimp immediately rushed to him and started picking at him while i was moving the rocks. I scooped the dead shrimp out and his body was for the most part in tact, he didnt look like he was squished or anything. So two scenarios...?

1. Did the microbubbles cause the cleaner shrimp to die somehow, and then his dead body got stuck in between rocks?
2. Did the blood shrimp attack him and kill him? (One out of the two times i have fed them so far, the blood shrimp rent right after the cleaner shrimp to steal his food...he was pretty aggressive about it, but besides that..they ignore each other.

OP
OP
paulhinrichsen

paulhinrichsen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also to add, although i havent tested for Copper, my aquarium metrics are fine...basically no amonia/nitrites at all, 1.0024 salinity, ph is around 7.9 - 8.0 and temperature is around 76.8F. None of this has majorly fluctuated in the past few days either.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 5.7%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.6%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 7 5.0%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 114 81.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.3%
Back