Blue Cespitularia and GSP out of control

Arsenix2001

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. My GSP is quickly taking over this LR from a quarter sized frag in 8 months, any tips to stop it from spreading?

2 my blue Cespitularia is out of control, its getting so huge and throwing down new feet literally every two weeks. Made the mistake of fragging to another spot too. Im literally hacking off growth foots every two week. Any way to tame this thing other than cutting?

1595373351777815074419909095002.jpg

20200601_184552.jpg

SamsReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
GSP should be kept on sand bed and it keeps it contained. There are some others(blue cloves and junk zoas) that cannot be contained by keeping on sand Bed. Hope that was helpful.

Sam

U

User1

View Badges
1. My GSP is quickly taking over this LR from a quarter sized frag in 8 months, any tips to stop it from spreading?

2 my blue Cespitularia is out of control, its getting so huge and throwing down new feet literally every two weeks. Made the mistake of fragging to another spot too. Im literally hacking off growth foots every two week. Any way to tame this thing other than cutting?

1595373351777815074419909095002.jpg

20200601_184552.jpg

GSP - you can place some rubble and as it starts to grow over it - it will lift making it easier to peel back slowly. More on this in a second.

Cespitularia - very pretty although it can take over similar to Xenia. More on this below to include GSP (will work on other corals like Kenya trees for example)

1. Bowl of water
2. Gloves - nitrile for example
3. Soft music
4. Open / crack open window
5. Forceps
6. Step stool / ladder if needed
7. Turn off return pump, other pumps also but leave one on for circulation
8. Glove up, ladder up, reach over, whatever works
9. With forceps reach in and move finger over gsp or Xenia or Cespitularia stalk you want to remove
10. With forceps, curved work best, clap as close to the rock, firmly, as you can
11. Once clamp is secure, gently (GENTLY) move side to side while lifting (GENTLY) and it should peel off
12. Lift out and release into bowl of water - it should fall off with a little swishing back and forth
13. Repeat for 10 or so minutes
14. Repeat until done
15. Take bowl outside and empty into trash if you don't want to frag

Basically you are using the forceps as close to the base of the coral and the rock as possible. Clamp, gently pull left and to the right, lifting, and it should peel off. That is what I do anyway.

Best of luck.

OP
OP
Arsenix2001

Arsenix2001

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
GSP - you can place some rubble and as it starts to grow over it - it will lift making it easier to peel back slowly. More on this in a second.

Cespitularia - very pretty although it can take over similar to Xenia. More on this below to include GSP (will work on other corals like Kenya trees for example)

1. Bowl of water
2. Gloves - nitrile for example
3. Soft music
4. Open / crack open window
5. Forceps
6. Step stool / ladder if needed
7. Turn off return pump, other pumps also but leave one on for circulation
8. Glove up, ladder up, reach over, whatever works
9. With forceps reach in and move finger over gsp or Xenia or Cespitularia stalk you want to remove
10. With forceps, curved work best, clap as close to the rock, firmly, as you can
11. Once clamp is secure, gently (GENTLY) move side to side while lifting (GENTLY) and it should peel off
12. Lift out and release into bowl of water - it should fall off with a little swishing back and forth
13. Repeat for 10 or so minutes
14. Repeat until done
15. Take bowl outside and empty into trash if you don't want to frag

Basically you are using the forceps as close to the base of the coral and the rock as possible. Clamp, gently pull left and to the right, lifting, and it should peel off. That is what I do anyway.

Best of luck.
Thanks so much, lol! At the soft music. I swear cutting and working with coral in the aquarium is beyond stressful. If you aren't in the hobby you will never understand either !

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 51 39.8%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 15 11.7%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 36 28.1%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 24 18.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.6%
Back