Blue Chromis spawned

iReefer12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
My blue chromis have layed eggs on the back wall of my aquarium, they are little white dots, and the chromis take turns to swim over and shake all over the patches and then they swim off, they’ve also gotten very protective of that area when it comes to guarding it from other fish.

Just wondered if there was any way to harvest some eggs and try to raise? Or just leave in the tank and let them become food?

If it’s super difficult, I will just leave in the tank.

pdisner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My blue chromis have layed eggs on the back wall of my aquarium, they are little white dots, and the chromis take turns to swim over and shake all over the patches and then they swim off, they’ve also gotten very protective of that area when it comes to guarding it from other fish.

Just wondered if there was any way to harvest some eggs and try to raise? Or just leave in the tank and let them become food?

Hi how’s it going? Saw your post and thought I would help u out. I know a little bit about this. Have not raised this species myself. However I do have some information you’ll want if you want to give it a try. I’ve read that it’s hard, sorry if I burst your bubble. I do no about a few species of saltwater fish that are easier to spawn and raise if you want to try it out. I have a couple of threads in fish breed forum under Breeding the Striped Blenny if u want to check it out. Anyhow, do you have any pictures of the eggs? Like I said I do have a couple items of research from some textbooks if interested to learn more. Also www.MBIsite.org is a good place to go for info on breeding. Let me know if I can help in any way.
Paul

pdisner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I can tell you what you’ll need if you still want to try.

Idoc

Getting lazier and lazier with upkeep!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

This is awesome! Are these Blue Reef Chromis?

OP
OP
iReefer12

iReefer12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
No just regular blue/green chromis. Had them for almost 6 years, started with 11 but down to 6. The remaining 6 are huge.

I think I’m going to leave it, doubt I have the capability to raise them. I’ll let them become fish food

pdisner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No just regular blue/green chromis. Had them for almost 6 years, started with 11 but down to 6. The remaining 6 are huge.

I think I’m going to leave it, doubt I have the capability to raise them. I’ll let them become fish food

Awe come on. You have to give a try. Just need some rotifers and to do a little reading. You want me to scan the article?

OP
OP
iReefer12

iReefer12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have a lot of things on my plate as it’s close to the holidays, don’t think my wife would appreciate me taking on this at the moment haha.

I’ll just observe this go around and if they spawn again I’ll try then.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a lot of things on my plate as it’s close to the holidays, don’t think my wife would appreciate me taking on this at the moment haha.

I’ll just observe this go around and if they spawn again I’ll try then.

I too have a wife. And there may be a way; Tell her you want to raise baby fish for her for Xmas.

(Its very cool your damsels are breeding in your set up!)

pdisner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Once they start they don’t really stop unless you change their tank or something drastic like that. That’s neat. That’s the first I’ve seen one of us hobbyist breeers get one of the to spawn. I see it’s happened but it’s not common with the chromis. You never see aquaculture ones if u notice.

OP
OP
iReefer12

iReefer12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Can’t add video unfortunately so pics will have to do.

Here is what I think may be eggs on the back wall, and the male/female that appears to be guarding them.
5576fa0ce1ccdb91b14ec3a34b526cac.jpg
aa656d0efed876f79deee0cdcbe52cd0.jpg
e68f24c7c55f3c15ff5dc107cc00f236.jpg

OP
OP
iReefer12

iReefer12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I’m assuming that they spawn pretty similarly to clownfish, similar genus?
Same practice with collecting the eggs and raising them?

So would I just scrape these off the back wall, add to a container that is aerated to keep flow through the eggs and then release into there own small aquarium?

pdisner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s interesting...I was just looking at it awhile ago. I heard talk of upgrading their system. They were looking for some new ideas I think. I know they still had this years’ annual workshop. I would do a Facebook search...

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.9%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 41 36.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 33 29.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 27 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back