Blue Geen Chromis with Springeri Damsels

PhilMStudy

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
May 9, 2021
Messages
315
Reaction score
275
Location
DFW
What state or country do you live in
Texas
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, I have a 6’ long, 200+ tank with tons of caves, nooks and hiding spots, etc.

I currently have 3 springeri damsels and wanted to know if anyone has had them in the same tank as blue green chromis.

There are plenty of other fish, well at least 6 others lol, but I’m concerned there might be aggression issues later on.

LFS has new shipment of chromis, giving them a couple of weeks for monitoring before purchase

thank you
 
Do your damsels have well defined territories or roam the whole tank? Any aggression?

I wouldn’t hesitate.
 
They have areas they tend to hang out in, haven’t seen any aggression since day 2
 
I have 5 chromis with a blue devil damselfish and he will chase them around but I heard this external aggression will actually prevent the chromis from turning inward and killing each other. The periodic attacks from the damsel keep the chromis together, acting like a school. Don't know if its true but I haven't lost a chromis since I got them in January.
 
I have 5 chromis with a blue devil damselfish and he will chase them around but I heard this external aggression will actually prevent the chromis from turning inward and killing each other. The periodic attacks from the damsel keep the chromis together, acting like a school. Don't know if its true but I haven't lost a chromis since I got them in January.
How have they done? Thinking about adding some. Thanks
 
Aquascape, tank maturity, will play a large role. My guess is that they will occupy different levels in the water and reef structure.
 
How have they done? Thinking about adding some. Thanks
Sam hasn't been on here in several months so he probably won't respond. Only thing I would suggest is monitoring the new chromis in an observation tank to make sure they don't have euronema since they are prone to it. Mine had been at the store for a couple of months but I still kept them in observation for 45 days to be safe.
I added 10 to my 330g and two were never seen again. The 8 remaining are doing well but it's only been about 4 months I'm not claiming success yet.
I added groups of 7 twice over the years and ended up with one both times. I'm feeding this group a lot more than I did previously hoping that helps but time will tell. I have some damsels as well as 9 tangs and the chromis seem to stay together most of the time.
 
Last edited:
How have they done? Thinking about adding some. Thanks
Sam hasn't been on here in several months so he probably won't respond. Only thing I would suggest is monitoring the new chromis in an observation tank to make sure they don't have euronema since they are prone to it. Mine had been at the store for a couple of months but I still kept them in observation for 45 days to be safe.
I added 10 to my 330g and two were never seen again. The 8 remaining are doing well but it's only been about 4 months I'm not claiming success yet.
I added groups if 7 twice ovee the years and ended up with one both times. I'm feeding this group a lot more than I did previously hoping that helps but time will tell. I have some damsels as well as 9 tangs and the chromis seem to stay together most of the time.
+1 on the uronema. Super nasty parasite. Chromis are very prone to it, so you should definitely qt. As far as compatibility goes, I don’t see any problem in a tank that size. Springeri are usually one of the more docile species of damsel. There are several other species in the genus that tend to be passive as well, like the Starki. I will say that blue green chromis are pretty fish, but they are definitely not the easiest fish to keep long term for a several reasons. Uronema and aggression between individuals are at the top of the list, but if you can do it, it’s hard to beat a school of them in a reef tank.
 
Okay that doesn’t sound great. I’ve been hearing this a lot.
Might try a group of bluestreak cardinals instead down the line once sps has grown in in the top portion of my tank
 
Okay that doesn’t sound great. I’ve been hearing this a lot.
Might try a group of bluestreak cardinals instead down the line once sps has grown in in the top portion of my tank
I wasn't going to try chromis again but wanted a group of smaller fish that would shoal together. The fact the chromis had been in the store for months with no signs of euronema and they were only $8 each made it too tempting not to try them one more time.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DOES YOUR REEFING AREA LOOK LIKE BETWEEN MAINTENANCE SESSIONS?

  • Clean and tidy—everything gets put away

    Votes: 11 42.3%
  • Mostly cleaned up, but a few tools stay out

    Votes: 7 26.9%
  • Organized chaos—I know where everything is

    Votes: 4 15.4%
  • Enter at your own risk! Buckets, hoses, and towels are basically permanent fixtures

    Votes: 2 7.7%
  • It depends on where I am in the maintenance cycle...

    Votes: 1 3.8%
  • The tsunami hit. Hard.

    Votes: 1 3.8%
  • A different take... (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new