Blue Green Chromis Picking on Clown?

hube

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why does the chromis keep hanging around my clownfish like this? The clown obviously doesn't want him there and charges at him, but I've also seen the chromis bite back, no matter where the clown goes the chromis continues to hover around him. Is there some way to stop this? Let it run its course? Or should I catch the chromis and return him to my LFS?

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know. Sticking in another fish's personal space is a type of aggression.

On the other hand, if there are the only 2 fish in the tank, then the chromis could want company. I've seen it many times where one lonely fish always wants to go close to another, even if the other gets angry, they just want company.

What size is your tank?
Will you add another fish? That might help, if there is space in the tank.

OP
OP
H

hube

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know. Sticking in another fish's personal space is a type of aggression.

On the other hand, if there are the only 2 fish in the tank, then the chromis could want company. I've seen it many times where one lonely fish always wants to go close to another, even if the other gets angry, they just want company.

What size is your tank?
I have a firefish goby that hides in his cave now, and I have a sneaking suspicion that it's due to this chromis.

I have a 30 gallon tank, I might add a fourth soon but I just recently lost a blenny to something and now I just want to make sure my other fish will be ok and this stress isn't helping that much.

I've had this fish since the beginning of August but only recently did he begin consistently hugging the clownfish and biting his fins at times, but I do not know if he bites because the clown doesn't let him around him or if he's just bullying the clown. In the past the clown charged when the bg got close and the chromis knew to stay away, now he's getting confident.

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a firefish goby that hides in his cave now, and I have a sneaking suspicion that it's due to this chromis.

I have a 30 gallon tank, I might add a fourth soon but I just recently lost a blenny to something and now I just want to make sure my other fish will be ok and this stress isn't helping that much.

I've had this fish since the beginning of August but only recently did he begin consistently hugging the clownfish and biting his fins at times, but I do not know if he bites because the clown doesn't let him around him or if he's just bullying the clown. In the past the clown charged when the bg got close and the chromis knew to stay away, now he's getting confident.
uh-oh, that might be a problem then....

pezcadoazul

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

What size is your tank?
I have 5 chromis and a maroon clown in a 75. The chromis always hang out together and steer clear of the clown who charges them if they get to close to her or her anemone. Chromis are a schooling/shoaling fish and like company.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 48 41.0%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 12 10.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 33 28.2%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 22 18.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.7%
Back