blue green chromis with white warts pushing mouth down

LowBucks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just noticed these warts on my chromis does anyone have a clue. Is it possible it was in a fight. I know my niger trigger chase 1 of the 2 chromis around once in awhile or is this a disease

IMG_2206.jpg

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I suspect injury and bacterial infection.

At that point, I would treat it in a quarantine with antibiotics. If it's bad enough that it won't eat, then it may be too late.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I just noticed these warts on my chromis does anyone have a clue. Is it possible it was in a fight. I know my niger trigger chase 1 of the 2 chromis around once in awhile or is this a disease

IMG_2206.jpg
This is severe mouth damage with what appears to be a developing bacterial infection. Normally suggested is to treat with either Seachem Kanaplex or maracyn 2 but based on the extent of damage , fish may not be able to properly eat or breathe and may not recover. These fish often get lockjaw but this is not the case and question if damage was from fighting which they do or from some type of food that may have gotten stuck

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That looks very serious - seems like major physical damage. The first test is to feed it to see if it is able to eat. If it can’t feed, there really isn’t anything you’ll be able to do for it.
If it showed up overnight, it is an injury of some sort. If it grew gradually over weeks, then it could be a cancer.

Jay

OP
OP
L

LowBucks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok great Thanks for everyone's help I do have kanaplex so I'll start treatment and it did appear like it was overnight but in actuality it probably popped up this past week sometime
Thanks again all

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 41 23.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 60 33.9%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 56 31.6%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 16 9.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.3%
Back