Blue/Green Chromis

brmc1985

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As far as numbers go, they’re like any semi-aggressive shoalers. In too small numbers, they’re more likely to kill each other until there’s one. Kind of like tiger barbs. In large numbers and a large tank, aggression is more dispersed. As far as three goes, it’s not unlikely that you’ll end up with one, simply due to aggression. There are success stories with small schools, though.
But what prompts them to get aggressive? I don’t think they just go homicidal just because. There has to be a reason. Which I believe is food. Sorry. This reply was more meant for jdiedenbaugh than you.

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But what prompts them to get aggressive? I don’t think they just go homicidal just because. There has to be a reason. Which I believe is food. Sorry. This reply was more meant for jdiedenbaugh than you.
I think it has to do with dominance and territory. Each one wants to be in charge of the tank.

Last edited:
OP
OP
StPatrick89

StPatrick89

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So stress is what induces Uronema?

jdiefenbaugh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do they do it in the wild then? I still have a feeling that it’s all about food competition

Idk, species survival most likely. Conspecifics/congeners in aquariums don't generally get along for the most part, mix 15 powder blue tangs in a 220 and see what happens. Again, once they realize there is no threat of predation, is when it starts going down hill. These have been kept in large groups in large exhibits in public aquariums for years, and it's always the same outcome.

As far as food competition, I don't see that as an issue at all.

I put 100 in here, and the 10 or so pictured were all that were left after 1 year. They did not starve to death. I have tried them in bigger tanks, as have other aquarists.

morrissey01-02.jpg

brmc1985

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No. From what I know, it is either there or not there. It’s a parasite that lives only on the fish itself. Stress weakens the immune system which allows the parasite to really take hold and cause the problem.

brmc1985

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Idk, species survival most likely. Conspecifics and same species in aquariums don't generally get along for the most part, mix 15 powder blue tangs in a 220 and see what happens. Again, once they realize there is no threat of predation, is when it starts going down hill. These have been kept in large groups in large exhibits in public aquariums for years, and it's always the same outcome.

As far as food competition, I don't see that as an issue at all.

I put 100 in here, and the 10 or so pictured were all that were left after 1 year. They did not starve to death. I have tried them in bigger tanks, as have other aquarists.

morrissey01-02.jpg
If you put 15 blue tangs in a 220 they are going to compete for food. It has nothing to do with predation. The tank you show has 100s of other fish who are going to compete for the same food as the chromis. Chromis aren’t going to out compete(what look to be anthias) for food.

jdiefenbaugh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you put 15 blue tangs in a 220 they are going to compete for food. It has nothing to do with predation. The tank you show has 100s of other fish who are going to compete for the same food as the chromis. Chromis aren’t going to out compete(what look to be anthias) for food.

Ok.

brmc1985

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s it? Ok? You are straight up not telling the truth. There are hundreds of other fish there that will outcompete chromis for food and you say it’s because the chromis “killed each other off because of predation?” The chromis “killed each other off” because there was no food for them.

jdiefenbaugh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s it? Ok? You are straight up not telling the truth. There are hundreds of other fish there that will outcompete chromis for food and you say it’s because the chromis “killed each other off because of predation?” The chromis “killed each other off” because there was no food for them.

Yes, that's it, because literally no matter what I say you're not open to listening.

26,000 gal, 7 chromis left of 50
230781_224370660907119_4410713_n_zpsf3edebf1.JPG

6,000 gal, single digit chromis left after losses through predation
IMG_0504_zpsd31931a3.JPG

I tried blues in a 10,000 Caribbean exhibit, same result. These are tanks I took care of or built for 6 years. I have had discussions with 20+ year professional aquarists, with same results. Clearly I have no idea what I'm talking about.

brmc1985

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, that's it, because literally no matter what I say you're not open to listening.

IMG_0504_zpsd31931a3.JPG

I tried blues in a 10,000 Caribbean exhibit, same result. These are tanks I took care of or built for 6 years. I have had discussions with 20+ year professional aquarists, with same results. Clearly I have no idea what I'm talking about.
“6,000 gal, single digit chromis left after losses through predation”. So you are saying they are dying because they are being preyed upon by other fish???

brmc1985

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

IMG_0504_zpsd31931a3.JPG

Also, those tank from the Omaha Zoo should be embarrassed by how ****** they look in those pictures.

brmc1985

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I have made my experience with these fish pretty clear. Have a great night!
I think you have introduced them into bad environments and killed many BG chromis. Have a good night as well

brmc1985

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone have success in keeping blue/green chromis? I had 3. One came down with Uronema. Had to nuke the tank. Thankfully it was nothing in the tank. I started going to some LFS and their chromis weren’t healthy either. I also hear that Uronema spreads quickly. No I don’t want to manage it either. Is there a way to treat for Uronema before it develops?
So I think a couple people have actually answered your question today. There are success stories of keeping multiple chromis. You obviously got the Amazon reviews and the non Amazon reviews. You make your own choice knowing that it is possible and that as long as they are fed and not overstocked with competing fish and they can thrive for many years.

Last edited:

billandwende

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started with 6 (always order more than I want). 1 DOA 1 didn't make it through QT. 1 jumped first week into display. 3 were happy for about 3 years then they began to pick on one. the picked on one finally died 2 left have been just hanging out fine since. I await the death of 1 of the 2. Then I assume the remaining survivor will die of loneliness. Then I'll Order 6.

If it matters its a 350 gallon tank that is heavily overfed. I like fat fish.

brmc1985

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started with 6 (always order more than I want). 1 DOA 1 didn't make it through QT. 1 jumped first week into display. 3 were happy for about 3 years then they began to pick on one. the picked on one finally died 2 left have been just hanging out fine since. I await the death of 1 of the 2. The I assume the remaining survivor will die of loneliness. Then I'll Order 6.

If it matters its a 350 gallon tank that is heavily overfed. I like fat fish.
What do you feed?

DrZoidburg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 9 blue reef chromis in a 220. Their all good with each other. Feed 2-3x a day. Mostly shoal left and right all day. With one blue tang that must think its a chromis. I did notice some things. In a tank with low flow they tended to me more picky to food, and aggressive with each other. When put them in big tank with lots of flow they eat everything, and shoal all day no aggression.

brmc1985

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 9 blue reef chromis in a 220. Their all good with each other. Feed 2-3x a day. Mostly shoal left and right all day. With one blue tang that must think its a chromis. I did notice some things. In a tank with low flow they tended to me more picky to food, and aggressive with each other. When put them in big tank with lots of flow they eat everything, and shoal all day no aggression.
Same here on a 180. Perfect shoal of chromis with no aggression.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 7.8%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 44 17.2%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 174 68.0%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.3%
Back