Blue/Green Chromis

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@StPatrick89, 'Yes'-- if you at least want to increase your chances of a successful outcome, an odd number will likely work best. And I like your idea of "3" because honestly, again, except for in a very large tank, 10 will turn in to 3. (And these are no longer $3.99 fish, from what I can tell these days.) Best wishes, and keep us updated on your personal experience.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The success stories don’t seem to be from recent chromis that are now showing up in the chain would be my only concern. You can start to treat for urenoma before you seen signs.

brmc1985

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@StPatrick89, 'Yes'-- if you at least want to increase your chances of a successful outcome, an odd number will likely work best. And I like your idea of "3" because honestly, again, except for in a very large tank, 10 will turn in to 3. (And these are no longer $3.99 fish, from what I can tell these days.) Best wishes, and keep us updated on your personal experience.
I agree. It really does depend on tank size too in addition to food and other tank mates.

brmc1985

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The success stories don’t seem to be from recent chromis that are now showing up in the chain would be my only concern. You can start to treat for urenoma before you seen signs.
I would say within the last year is fairly representative of the current situation.

brmc1985

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 7. I also read an odd number was important. I feed them well and there aren’t any issues.
Just a thought from the odd number thing. Most people like even numbers so they buy 4 or 8 and one eventually dies just from the odds(no pun intended) of it so they are left with an odd number. No science or anything behind this. Just a thought

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
(For hardiness and temperament, I like Talbots personally; and Azure Damsels. But I must admit that that green color in the Chromis is very appealing in a tank. :) Yellow Tails are probably my favorite, but there you go again-- without a large tank, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3...?)

Smite

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had 6 for the majority of the time I had my 180g set up. I Qt'd most everything in that tank, BG chromis included. I did a full quarantine on them with chloroquine phosphate followed by prazi-pro. One did have a suspicious looking spot when I started to process but healed. up. I want to say I started with 8 and ended up with 6 after QT.

I plan to do it again for my upcoming 205g. I haven't seen them locally in some time though.

brmc1985

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
(For hardiness and temperament, I like Talbots personally; and Azure Damsels. But I must admit that that green color in the Chromis is very appealing in a tank. :) Yellow Tails are probably my favorite, but there you go again-- without a large tank, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3...?)
Agreed. You put 9 chromis in a 40 and you will have a countdown faster than SpaceX. And you will probably end up with 3. The lone male wants at least two females ;) so maybe there is something to that odd number for smaller tanks

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a thought from the odd number thing. Most people like even numbers so they buy 4 or 8 and one eventually dies just from the odds(no pun intended) of it so they are left with an odd number. No science or anything behind this. Just a thought
Maybe clever marketing. If you want 4, then buying 5 would be better :)

brmc1985

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe clever marketing. If you want 4, then buying 5 would be better :)
bUt ReTaIl sToReS wOuLd NeVeR dO tHaT. Lol. It’s a good idea though. You want 4. bUt YoU hAvE tO hAvE 5 oR tHeY wIlL dIe. And lots of new reefers would believe that. Good thought

brmc1985

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had 6 for the majority of the time I had my 180g set up. I Qt'd most everything in that tank, BG chromis included. I did a full quarantine on them with chloroquine phosphate followed by prazi-pro. One did have a suspicious looking spot when I started to process but healed. up. I want to say I started with 8 and ended up with 6 after QT.

I plan to do it again for my upcoming 205g. I haven't seen them locally in some time though.
I want to add another 5 to mine and you can’t find them anywhere. Even online they are sold out. It’s crazy!!

jdiefenbaugh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank size and odd/even number do not matter. Once they realize there is no threat of predation, they will slowly whittle their number down, to whatever they deem acceptable (usually single digits). I have kept them in 20K+ gallon tanks in groups, over years, guerrilla warfare will always occur.

As far as uronema goes, I always treat new chromis with formalin baths, and just expect they have it straight from the wholesaler.

brmc1985

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank size and odd/even number do not matter. Once they realize there is no threat of predation, they will slowly whittle their number down, to whatever they deem acceptable (usually single digits). I have kept them in 20K+ gallon tanks in groups, over years, guerrilla warfare will always occur.

As far as uronema goes, I always treat new chromis with formalin baths, and just expect they have it straight from the wholesaler.
How do they do it in the wild then? I still have a feeling that it’s all about food competition

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As far as numbers go, they’re like any semi-aggressive shoalers. In too small numbers, they’re more likely to kill each other until there’s one. Kind of like tiger barbs. In large numbers and a large tank, aggression is more dispersed. As far as three goes, it’s not unlikely that you’ll end up with one, simply due to aggression. There are success stories with small schools, though.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 22 34.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 17 26.6%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 7.8%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 7.8%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 14 21.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.6%
Back