Blue/Green Chromis

StPatrick89

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone have success in keeping blue/green chromis? I had 3. One came down with Uronema. Had to nuke the tank. Thankfully it was nothing in the tank. I started going to some LFS and their chromis weren’t healthy either. I also hear that Uronema spreads quickly. No I don’t want to manage it either. Is there a way to treat for Uronema before it develops?

brmc1985

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t believe there is a way to treat for it before there are signs. The only real way that I know of is formalin. If you do see it you need to remove that fish and treat in a QT tank or it can spread. For the most part it only lives on fish themselves so it is possible to stop it from spreading if it is caught quickly. Edit. I guess you could treat them before adding to the tank to “stop it before it starts” but that would seem to be too harsh on the fish. It would be like doing chemo to prevent cancer from starting in the first place.

OP
OP
StPatrick89

StPatrick89

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t believe there is a way to treat for it before there are signs. The only real way that I know of is formalin. If you do see it you need to remove that fish and treat in a QT tank or it can spread. For the most part it only lives on fish themselves so it is possible to stop it from spreading if it is caught quickly. Edit. I guess you could treat them before adding to the tank to “stop it before it starts” but that would seem to be too harsh on the fish. It would be like doing chemo to prevent cancer from starting in the first place.
That’s what I had to do before when I started my 40G Breeder. I didn’t want to take any chances so the other two I just took back to the store I bought them from.

brmc1985

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s what I had to do before when I started my 40G Breeder. I didn’t want to take any chances so the other two I just took back to the store I bought them from.
Honestly. What you could do is tell the store you want 3 and have them move them to a separate tank for a week or two. If they show no signs you can bring them home and watch them again in a QT for a week or so.

Weasel1960

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is this common to all chromis? I was hoping to have 3 or 5 B/G Black Axel’s in my tank with sea horses. Now I am thinking that may not be a good idea.

OP
OP
StPatrick89

StPatrick89

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is this common to all chromis? I was hoping to have 3 or 5 B/G Black Axel’s in my tank with sea horses. Now I am thinking that may not be a good idea.
It seems to be a common issue especially over the past couple months. Even if you go through the threads on here, you will read a lot of the same issues.

brmc1985

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely common but not as common as you would think. No one posts about their perfectly fine chromis. It’s kind of like Amazon reviews. They are either fake 5 star reviews or 1 star from people who got them with a disease.

OP
OP
StPatrick89

StPatrick89

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely common but not as common as you would think. No one posts about their perfectly fine chromis. It’s kind of like Amazon reviews. They are either fake 5 star reviews or 1 star from people who got them with a disease.
Lol, true. I am looking for success stories, but nobody is talking.

brmc1985

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol, true. I am looking for success stories, but nobody is talking.
Here’s a success story. I have 9 and haven’t lost a single one in over a year. Just put in a QT for a week to see if they developed it and none of them ever did. Moved them to the display and they are all still fine!
69A8E626-3DD9-4A55-83FB-44920E4DB407.png

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had 6 in my 120 for 2 years now with no issues.
I went to the store when they came in. The owner kept them in a seperate tank for a week and they looked fine and were eating with no observable problems. They were the second fish I put in the system and were very small. The first was a pajama cardinal and I still have it too.
Heres all 6.
20210803_162618.jpg

Same side pic 2 years ago.
20190720_155045.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
StPatrick89

StPatrick89

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here’s a success story. I have 9 and haven’t lost a single one in over a year. Just put in a QT for a week to see if they developed it and none of them ever did. Moved them to the display and they are all still fine!
69A8E626-3DD9-4A55-83FB-44920E4DB407.png
THAT WAS MY FIRST QUESTION!!! ANYBODY HAVE SUCCESS KEEPING THEM!!! Lol JK, that’s pretty dope. Did you medicate or anything?

brmc1985

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had 6 in my 120 for 2 years now with no issues.
I went to the store when they came in. The owner kept them in a seperate tank for a week and they looked fine and were eating with no observable problems. They were the second fish I put in the system and were very small. The first was a pajama cardinal and I still have it too.
Heres all 6.
20210803_162618.jpg
Boom. My exact process too

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Diseases aside, unless you have a 200+ gallon tank, expect aggression/dominance to dwindle them down from 'many' to 'few.' As I see it, that seems to be the experience for the majority of people with multiple Chromis in smaller tanks. :cool:

OP
OP
StPatrick89

StPatrick89

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Diseases aside, unless you have a 200+ gallon tank, expect aggression/dominance to dwindle them down from 'many' to 'few.' As I see it, that seems to be the experience for the majority of people with multiple Chromis in smaller tanks. :cool:
So what’s a cap number? I heard to keep them in odd numbers. I had 3

brmc1985

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine all stay together and I have never seen any aggression. I also feed pellets, calanus and rotifers 4 times a day from auto feeder so they stay fed which I think helps with them not picking on each other.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 35.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 38 31.1%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 30 24.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.8%
Back