Blue hippo tang growth

Saltwater_hobbiest

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Mar 16, 2025
Messages
107
Reaction score
19
Location
Minneapolis
What state or country do you live in
Minnesota
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had this blue hippo tang for almost 2 years and I got him when he was an inch big and now he is 2 inches. Why is he growing so slow and should I be worried? My aquarium is a 50.3 waterbox. The two pictures below show him when I bought him and what he looks like now.

IMG_5696.jpeg IMG_9140.jpeg
 
Good question, Maybe not feeding enough or maybe where in the world they are collected makes a difference, but I doubt it. Be careful what you wish for. Mine started out about the same size as yours when you got him, but in less than 2 years he is a 6 inch beast and almost 1" thick. As long as he's growing, I wouldn't be too concerned.
@Jay Hemdal
@vetteguy53081
 
I have had this blue hippo tang for almost 2 years and I got him when he was an inch big and now he is 2 inches. Why is he growing so slow and should I be worried? My aquarium is a 50.3 waterbox. The two pictures below show him when I bought him and what he looks like now.

IMG_5696.jpeg IMG_9140.jpeg
What foods are you offering it? I’ve seen many fish stunted but often due to diet and fish stealing food from them
 
I have had this blue hippo tang for almost 2 years and I got him when he was an inch big and now he is 2 inches. Why is he growing so slow and should I be worried? My aquarium is a 50.3 waterbox. The two pictures below show him when I bought him and what he looks like now.

IMG_5696.jpeg IMG_9140.jpeg
Could you please post a close up picture of the tang, so we can see how fat/skinny she is?

How often do you feed?
 
Feeding seaweed and mysis shrimp
Fish should be plumper and this is an Insufficient diet and should be fed 2-3x daily. Add some of these foods:
LRS herbivore diet
Formula 2 flake and frozen
TDO Pellets
small plankton
Hikari Marine cuisine
Ocean nutrition veggie diet
spirulina brine shrimp
Prime reef
Nori seaweed basted with garlic extract

Add selcon vitamins to foods occasionally
 
Good question, Maybe not feeding enough or maybe where in the world they are collected makes a difference, but I doubt it. Be careful what you wish for. Mine started out about the same size as yours when you got him, but in less than 2 years he is a 6 inch beast and almost 1" thick. As long as he's growing, I wouldn't be too concerned.
@Jay Hemdal
@vetteguy53081

I’ve seen hepatus tangs grow slower or even stunt in some cases, but I don’t know the possible causes for this issue compared to hepatus that grow like weeds like yours did.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH FLOW PROBLEM IS HARDEST TO SOLVE IN YOUR REEF?

  • Eliminating dead spots

    Votes: 9 23.1%
  • Keeping sand from blowing around

    Votes: 5 12.8%
  • Balancing flow for different coral types

    Votes: 11 28.2%
  • Creating random or turbulent movement

    Votes: 2 5.1%
  • Finding effective pump placement

    Votes: 1 2.6%
  • Managing noise or vibration

    Votes: 2 5.1%
  • Keeping pumps hidden and accessible

    Votes: 2 5.1%
  • I still feel like I’m mostly guessing

    Votes: 7 17.9%
  • Other (Comment in the thread)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new