Blue hippo tang with ich that won’t go

bshake

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello I had an Ich outbreak in my tank took all the fish out and put them in copper power 2.5ppm and nitrofurazone they’ve been in there for 5 weeks already. All the fish are fine except for my hippo tang. He got better for a week or so than a week later now for the past 2 weeks he’s been showing spots again that won’t leave even with copper power at 2.5ppm he’s still eating and everything but is scratching alot to the point where he looks like he’s gotten a cut on his side. Any suggestions? I’m pretty sure it’s Ich IMG_9466.png

YouTube video

Attachments

• IMG_9306.mov
    62.9 MB
Last edited:

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hello I had an Ich outbreak in my tank took all the fish out and put them in copper power 2.5ppm and nitrofurazone they’ve been in there for 5 weeks already. All the fish are fine except for my hippo tang. He got better for a week or so than a week later now for the past 2 weeks he’s been showing spots again that won’t leave even with copper power at 2.5ppm he’s still eating and everything but is scratching alot to the point where he looks like he’s gotten a cut on his side. Any suggestions? I’m pretty sure it’s Ich IMG_9466.png
There is an area of damage which suggests injury or scratching from irritants, This is larger than typical ich and diffuse and are mucus cones and marine ich. Fish will have to be treated in separate treatment tank as well as others in tank which are likely infected using coppersafe or copper power. Treat at therapeutic level 2.25-2.5 For a FULL 30 days (do not interrupt this 30 day period) monitored by a reliable Copper Test kit such as Hanna Brand- No API brand. Also monitor Ammonia levels while in quarantine with a reliable test kit and add aeration during treatment using an air stone.
The display tank will have to be kept fishless (FALLOW) for 6-8 weeks to assure the existing parasites go through their life cycle without a host fish and die off
A quarantine tank can be as simple as a tank from a second hand store or a starter kit from Walmart which most of the needed essentials.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see mucus plugs and skin/fin damage on the hepatus tang. The tank also looks to have pretty high nutrient loading (lots of fish, yellowish water).

The mucus plugs can be a response to some stressor - copper can do that, but so can ich. Given the history of copper, I would rule out ich. It could be flukes however, have you treated for those yet?

Jay

OP
OP
B

bshake

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is an area of damage which suggests injury or scratching from irritants, This is larger than typical ich and diffuse and are mucus cones and marine ich. Fish will have to be treated in separate treatment tank as well as others in tank which are likely infected using coppersafe or copper power. Treat at therapeutic level 2.25-2.5 For a FULL 30 days (do not interrupt this 30 day period) monitored by a reliable Copper Test kit such as Hanna Brand- No API brand. Also monitor Ammonia levels while in quarantine with a reliable test kit and add aeration during treatment using an air stone.
The display tank will have to be kept fishless (FALLOW) for 6-8 weeks to assure the existing parasites go through their life cycle without a host fish and die off
A quarantine tank can be as simple as a tank from a second hand store or a starter kit from Walmart which most of the needed essentials.
The fish were all taken out of my display tank and placed in QT tank for the past 6 weeks. I did 2 weeks of copper power at 2.5ppm. I noticed they all didn’t show signs of ich anymore. I did a large water change and they were good for almost 2 weeks. Like 10 days ago only my hippo tang started showing signs of ich again but none of my fish have any visible symptoms or spots besides my hippo tang. Since I was going fallow they’re still all in the my QT tank so I raised the copper power back to 2.5 for the past week but the spots on the hippo don’t seem to be going. They’re in there with copper power, prazipro and nitrofurazone for the past 10 days

OP
OP
B

bshake

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see mucus plugs and skin/fin damage on the hepatus tang. The tank also looks to have pretty high nutrient loading (lots of fish, yellowish water).

The mucus plugs can be a response to some stressor - copper can do that, but so can ich. Given the history of copper, I would rule out ich. It could be flukes however, have you treated for those yet?

Jay
The water is yellow because of the nitrofurazone which is a antibiotic for the damage because of the ich and aggression he used to get picked on by my clown tang

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
The fish were all taken out of my display tank and placed in QT tank for the past 6 weeks. I did 2 weeks of copper power at 2.5ppm. I noticed they all didn’t show signs of ich anymore. I did a large water change and they were good for almost 2 weeks. Like 10 days ago only my hippo tang started showing signs of ich again but none of my fish have any visible symptoms or spots besides my hippo tang. Since I was going fallow they’re still all in the my QT tank so I raised the copper power back to 2.5 for the past week but the spots on the hippo don’t seem to be going. They’re in there with copper power, prazipro and nitrofurazone for the past 10 days
Problem is - you cut the treatment cycle short. As mentioned - a full 30 days - Do Not interrupt the 30 days.
It will take the copper 3 days at proper level to start working again and I would not mix the nitrofurazone with the other two agents

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The water is yellow because of the nitrofurazone which is a antibiotic for the damage because of the ich and aggression he used to get picked on by my clown tang

O.K., well, with the tang flashing/scratching to the point of skin damage, the go-to diagnosis would be flukes.

Jay

OP
OP
B

bshake

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Problem is - you cut the treatment cycle short. As mentioned - a full 30 days - Do Not interrupt the 30 days.
It will take the copper 3 days at proper level to start working again and I would not mix the nitrofurazone with the other two agents
I saw a video on YouTube from BRS saying the nitrofurazone is good with the copper because of any infection that might happen. I have no idea why he’s the only one that’s showing signs of symptoms ich while my mimic tang is perfectly fine

OP
OP
B

bshake

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I
O.K., well, with the tang flashing/scratching to the point of skin damage, the go-to diagnosis would be flukes.

Jay
I dosed prazipro and I feed with seachem kenopelx and metro wouldn’t that take care of any flukes?

OP
OP
B

bshake

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I

I dosed prazipro and I feed with seachem kenopelx and metro wouldn’t that take care of any flukes?

Jay
Those white spots aren’t ich? Idk what to treat for or what I should do anymore with this guy

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I

How did you dose prazi and for how long?

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I saw a video on YouTube from BRS saying the nitrofurazone is good with the copper because of any infection that might happen. I have no idea why he’s the only one that’s showing signs of symptoms ich while my mimic tang is perfectly fine
Nitrofurazone is an antiseptic and addresses marine ulcers and some protozoans but youre in essence adding additional anti protozoan treatment to copper which also is anti protozoan.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I

How many times did you dose the Prazipro? - neither of those last two medications treat for flukes.

Jay

OP
OP
B

bshake

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nitrofurazone is an antiseptic and addresses marine ulcers and some protozoans but youre in essence adding additional anti protozoan treatment to copper which also is anti protozoan.
So should I do a large water change and just keep copper and prazi?

OP
OP
B

bshake

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How many times did you dose the Prazipro? - neither of those last two medications treat for flukes.

Jay
Recently just one, when I first put them in QT I did it for a week and the second outbreak on the hippo it’s been already 5 days or so

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Recently just one, when I first put them in QT I did it for a week and the second outbreak on the hippo it’s been already 5 days or so

For egg laying flukes, it requires at least a second prazi treatment to eradicate them - the prazi does not kill the unhatched eggs.

Jay

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So you don’t think those spots are ich? It’s really bad around it’s face

Copper for 5 weeks, if done properly, would eliminate ich. In the pics, the spots look too large and imbedded to be ich - but I cannot be 100% on this....

Jay

OP
OP
B

bshake

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Copper for 5 weeks, if done properly, would eliminate ich. In the pics, the spots look too large and imbedded to be ich - but I cannot be 100% on this....

Jay
The pumps do look a little bit big and they haven’t gone away I’ve maintained 2.5ppm of copper power for the past 10 days and doesn’t seem to get better. None of the my other fish seem to have a spot on them. I’m really concerned about what this might be.

OP
OP
B

bshake

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I attached some screenshots I took from the original video maybe I’ll be more clear

Attachments

• IMG_9471.png
    IMG_9471.png
    588.6 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_9470.png
    IMG_9470.png
    605.2 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_9472.png
    IMG_9472.png
    617.8 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_9473.jpeg
    IMG_9473.jpeg
    46.7 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_9474.jpeg
    IMG_9474.jpeg
    44.3 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_9475.jpeg
    IMG_9475.jpeg
    43.7 KB · Views: 26

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 47 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 19 6.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 167 58.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.6%
Back