Blue Hippo tangs and DT size

  • Thread starter Thread starter kdx7214
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

kdx7214

Valuable Member
View Badges
Joined
Jan 5, 2020
Messages
1,054
Reaction score
877
Location
Columbia, MO, US
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Over the last 20 years I've seen comments all over the place on these fish. I am fully aware that they can grow to 18" in size, however I've also personally seen numerous tanks (at least 15, maybe more) that have small hippo tangs that are over 6 years old and did not outgrow the tank. So, is there any specific evidence that they will or will not outgrow a tank?

My tank doesn't have sufficient room for one so I don't plan to get one, but am trying to plan for a bigger tank down the road.
 
18"!? The max size from the literature is closer to 12" total length. I agree that some specimens get big, but some stop at about 1/2 that. Expecting an 8"+ fish is reasonable.

I usually tell people somewhere in the standard 6*2*2 180 gallon range, if you are talking about a forever home.
 
I think it depends on tank shape also. Longer more shallow tank is better then a cube tank of the same displacement.
 
I think it depends on tank shape also. Longer more shallow tank is better then a cube tank of the same displacement.
I agree. From my understanding, Blue Hippos swim miles a day in the ocean. The longer the tank the better. At a minimum I would look at a 6' long tank. I keep mine in a 10' long. I always thought they maxed out in size the 8-10" range.
 
Over the last 20 years I've seen comments all over the place on these fish. I am fully aware that they can grow to 18" in size, however I've also personally seen numerous tanks (at least 15, maybe more) that have small hippo tangs that are over 6 years old and did not outgrow the tank. So, is there any specific evidence that they will or will not outgrow a tank?

My tank doesn't have sufficient room for one so I don't plan to get one, but am trying to plan for a bigger tank down the road.

Maximum size for hepatus tangs in the wild is 12". Most fish do not reach 80% of the wild max size, so 10".

If you want to take a deep dive into this question, I posted my tank size calculator here:

https://www.reef2reef.com/ams/estimating-the-need-for-swimming-space-for-aquarium-fishes.801/
Jay
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT CHANGED THE MOST IN A FISH AS IT MATURED IN YOUR REEF?

  • Size or body shape

    Votes: 5 21.7%
  • Color or pattern

    Votes: 3 13.0%
  • Personality or confidence

    Votes: 2 8.7%
  • Aggression or territorial behavior

    Votes: 6 26.1%
  • Feeding habits

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Social behavior or bonding

    Votes: 5 21.7%
  • It really hasn’t changed much

    Votes: 1 4.3%
  • Something else (Tell us what I didn't think of)

    Votes: 1 4.3%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new