Blue leg hermits - all piled together?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Ky_acc
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None
Free Phyto Promo
Spend $39+ → free 16oz Phyto · Use code FREEPHYTO at checkout · $16.99 value · Densest 6-species blend · Free shipping on every order · 100% live arrival guaranteed Spend $39+ → free 16oz Phyto · Use code FREEPHYTO at checkout · $16.99 value · Densest 6-species blend · Free shipping on every order · 100% live arrival guaranteed
Shop Now Code: FREEPHYTO

Ky_acc

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Jun 16, 2019
Messages
294
Reaction score
125
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone - anyone seen this type of behavior before from hermits?

I bought about 30 blue leg hermits last week and they all ended up congregating in the corners and forming a big pile

I’m not sure why they’d be doing this but I was hoping they’d start getting to work on some algae on the rockwork. Anyone have any thoughts?

IMG_1731.jpeg IMG_1730.jpeg
 
Hi everyone - anyone seen this type of behavior before from hermits?

I bought about 30 blue leg hermits last week and they all ended up congregating in the corners and forming a big pile

I’m not sure why they’d be doing this but I was hoping they’d start getting to work on some algae on the rockwork. Anyone have any thoughts?

IMG_1731.jpeg
Looks like they are either eating or theres a shell they all want lol
 
Are they:
Fighting for shells ?
Or
cleaning each other shells?
 
Yea I’m not sure - I separated them yesterday and spreads them across the rockwork, then I come down this morning and they are all in a pile again….
 
Mine do that but usually on a coral. I swear my hermits spend more time trying to murder each other than they do eating algae.
No kidding

And then one sees a soft hermit Crabs cadaver floating around in the current

"Ah, serves you right you lazy boy. You only had one job, but noooo you wanted to play gladiator"
 
They are doing a shell exchange. They will all get together when one outgrows a shell and then they will all get hand me down shells based on size. If you watch them long enough you'll see them do it. Of course you have to have spare shells usually or when one of them dies they will do it. It's actually kinda neat to watch. My daughter is the one that pointed it out. She'll watch them for hours doing it .
 
They are doing a shell exchange. They will all get together when one outgrows a shell and then they will all get hand me down shells based on size. If you watch them long enough you'll see them do it. Of course you have to have spare shells usually or when one of them dies they will do it. It's actually kinda neat to watch. My daughter is the one that pointed it out. She'll watch them for hours doing it .
@legionofdoon thank you! That makes sense.
 
@Solo McReefer @slingfox - I threw in about 30-40 empty shells of various sizes with them when I added the group, although they are scattered across the aquarium
Well

That's all fine and well

Those empty shells don't have hermit crabs in them

For the other hermit crabs to fight

To get the new shell

To wit, I do not consider individual hermit crabs as long term residents in my tank

"But, Solo, that doesn't make any sense. Why would they fight, when they could just get another free shell?"

You have weird behaviors in you too, that don't make any sense. Anyone who has 'dated' an 'Amber Heard' or 'Buck Cherry' type knows this. Sometimes it's just the way we, or hermit Crabs, are made
 
Give them some spare shells. I got a bag off Amazon for this purpose.
Reefcleaners.org has them when you buy your hermit crabs

Like 10 for a buck

And are all about the right size for hermit crabs

I don't buy those anymore. Because I know I will have a bunch of them on the tank bottom. That used to have hermit crabs in them, soon enough
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 4 4.0%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 6 6.1%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 21 21.2%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 29 29.3%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 1.0%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 9 9.1%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 9 9.1%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 13 13.1%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 7 7.1%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new