OP
jessiesgrrl

jessiesgrrl

Hasslehoff is NOT Hot!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today... I took the girls shopping at the mall and got bored- wandered over to the pet store... He's pretty big, like about the size of my hand, for 23.99. I had trade credit there so didn't even have to pay for him. Striking blue. I think these generally don't so well in captivity because I think I read somewhere they eat the sponge off of LR. I'm hoping he will do so in my tank...

:D
Laurie

OP
OP
jessiesgrrl

jessiesgrrl

Hasslehoff is NOT Hot!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the only other starfish I have had like him:
DSC00337.jpg

He didn't do too hot because he got eaten...

Besides that, the only one I ever bought was a chocolate chip in the predator tank. When he got too big, I made the mistake of harboring him for a day in the reef before trading him... he ate one of the heads off my sun coral. Kris caught him at it and took him for a ride on the hood of the Ram... We still have him, dried...

Laurie

czieler

Reefin' Girl
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had an orange linkia in my 65 gallon for about a yr now... he isn't any work at all... he just trucks around the tank...

I think once they make it past acclimation..they are pretty easy to keep in there...although mine is only about 3 in. across... I haven't done research on them...but I'm assuming the blue would be the same

IMG_1695_sm.jpg

OP
OP
jessiesgrrl

jessiesgrrl

Hasslehoff is NOT Hot!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I figure, if I am ever going to keep one alive, it would be this tank- 3-4 lbs to a gallon of LR in a 125 tank... my mandarin loves it.

I guess I am going to find out!

Laurie

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I kept mine in my 125g for about a year and it has grown like crazy. The key is to have lots of LR and to acclimate it very slowly. Mine would stay out during the day. I just gave him to a local reef club buddy to keep. I got him for $15 at a lfs.

gflat65

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got the anamoly. I got mine from a guy selling rock (live rock ;) ) down in N. Georgia. he gave me a blue linkia and an orange that he said he had for about a year. I got it home from the long car ride and just dropped them both in the tank. The orange lived for about a year. I noticed it all cuddled up with my Seio and it went down hill from there. The blue is still around and looking good. The orange linkia was a mover. It would lap the blue several times over.

OP
OP
jessiesgrrl

jessiesgrrl

Hasslehoff is NOT Hot!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
revhtree said:
I kept mine in my 125g for about a year and it has grown like crazy. The key is to have lots of LR and to acclimate it very slowly. Mine would stay out during the day. I just gave him to a local reef club buddy to keep. I got him for $15 at a lfs.

WHy did you give him away, Rev?

Did you and Gary notice anything in particular the Linckia liked to eat?

Laurie

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I never fed my linkia at all, and I got rid of him because I shut the 125g down.

surfn

I bleed orange and maroon
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
good luck with that. i cant say i know anyone who has kept one very long.

i'm tempted to try out a small orange one. but dont want to run the risk of it funking up my water if it dies.

gflat65

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Laurie, I have never fed it. It grazes around the tank at will. I've had it for over a year and a half and they guy before me said he had it for over a year. That is a long time, from what I understand. my first invert, some 10 years ago, was a blue linkia. It made it about four days :( . I still have it on top of my tank.

OP
OP
jessiesgrrl

jessiesgrrl

Hasslehoff is NOT Hot!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, at least it'll make a good tank decoration if nothing else then... Sometimes I have these wild urges to take stuff that I know is going to die for sure in a smaller tank.

Can't save the world I guess. But this was so pretty...
Laurie

softball13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I jinxed myself..I was going to post that I have an orange one and its doing fine..but when I just looked at it..his leg looks like its dissolving...

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 66 51.6%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 67 52.3%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 32 25.0%
  • None.

Votes: 29 22.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.0%
Back