Blue mandarin goby

Thomashtom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a large Fowler tank(broomtail wrasse, porcupine puffer, eels, angels) would a mandarin goby become a meal. I know they are poisonous and have a smelly thick mucous coat. I have lots of rock for him to hide in. I am assuming that he would get killed. Am i correct in thinking that? Thanks

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most predators don't eat mandarins, but anytime a new fish is added they are susceptible to a "blind" attack from a predator that in it's excitement for what it thinks is a meal.

I would also be concerned with a puffer biting out of curiosity.

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mandarins aren't poisonous, but they do taste bad to most fish (scorpionfish are about the only predator that I know of for sure with mandarins). I agree that it's a real gamble in a predator tank particularly for a fish that spends most of it's time crawling in and around the rockwork (aka the eels turf).

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mandarins aren't poisonous, but they do taste bad to most fish (scorpionfish are about the only predator that I know of for sure with mandarins). I agree that it's a real gamble in a predator tank particularly for a fish that spends most of it's time crawling in and around the rockwork (aka the eels turf).
They produce a noxious slime coat, that in high enough concentration is toxic, so they kinda are poisonous.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 57 40.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 29 20.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 35.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.6%
Back