Blue or not so blue that is the question.

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Blue or not so?

OK I was thinking about the colours of our lights are set at. Some prefer deep blue to highlight the colours and give cur pop. IMO they often look gaudy and unnatural but that's just my opinion yours may well be different.

As with all things with my tank I try and stick with as natural as is reasonably ( you will have to define your own interpretation of reasonable here) possible. From my reefscape to the fish I choose, feeding, foods and beyond. I do have plenty of blue light but far from many I see using various lights.

All personal choice of course but unless you dive deep often below where our corals reside on the reef then they are not showing how they look on the reef. BTW yes I have dived on coral reefs and better still in some respects snorkeled.

Just a conversation starter and my own views your might well be completely different and welcome to them.

My photo below is bluer than you actually see of my tank which is whiter.

20220109_160523.jpg

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Blue or not so?

OK I was thinking about the colours of our lights are set at. Some prefer deep blue to highlight the colours and give cur pop. IMO they often look gaudy and unnatural but that's just my opinion yours may well be different.

As with all things with my tank I try and stick with as natural as is reasonably ( you will have to define your own interpretation of reasonable here) possible. From my reefscape to the fish I choose, feeding, foods and beyond. I do have plenty of blue light but far from many I see using various lights.

All personal choice of course but unless you dive deep often below where our corals reside on the reef then they are not showing how they look on the reef. BTW yes I have dived on coral reefs and better still in some respects snorkeled.

Just a conversation starter and my own views your might well be completely different and welcome to them.

20220109_160523.jpg
I prefer more of a natural look of when I see ref that I have dove. I have dove many reefs around the world and to me, more natural is just my preference. Even with natural light, most things can still pop if the light contains all spectrums.

I will say, that my zoa grow out is all blue and UV. Looks like a rave party in it, but they seem to grow quicker with more blues that white. Since going all blue and about 100 par on them, growth has doubled. Being as I sell those, makes sense to do it that way.

Either way, corals seem to grow under all blues, under 10,000k and even under 6500k. I think with the light, as long as it is enough and all the other stuff lines out, any K can be used, within reason.

Not home right now, but my 180 using a blink cam with no filter. Kind of on the white side lol.

Ignore the blue trim in the pic. I have painters tape on the cam, as the wife wants it to only see the tank lol.

IMG_6541.PNG

CanuckReefer

Simple...Salt, Water, LR, Lighting and Flow.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Blue or not so?

20220109_160523.jpg
I prefer more of a natural look of when I see ref that I have dove. I have dove many reefs around the world and to me, more natural is just my preference. Even with natural light, most things can still pop if the light contains all spectrums.

I will say, that my zoa grow out is all blue and UV. Looks like a rave party in it, but they seem to grow quicker with more blues that white. Since going all blue and about 100 par on them, growth has doubled. Being as I sell those, makes sense to do it that way.

Either way, corals seem to grow under all blues, under 10,000k and even under 6500k. I think with the light, as long as it is enough and all the other stuff lines out, any K can be used, within reason.

Not home right now, but my 180 using a blink cam with no filter. Kind of on the white side lol.

Ignore the blue trim in the pic. I have painters tape on the cam, as the wife wants it to only see the tank lol.

IMG_6541.PNG
Agree with both of you in terms of how the reef looks on a dive, and wanting to stay as close to that as possible. I utilize Giesmann T5 aquablues ( which do offer a fair amount of white imo) and keep my LED's white spectrum fairly high. You won't see any of my pics being asked 'can we get an image under whites please???' Lol...

427HISS

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't stand,...overly blue tanks as it looks fake. Especially Zoa people, but to each it's own. Sure, painting your grass looks great, but it's fake.

StewL6

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run 6 hours 60 percent white 88 percent blue then run 8 hours at the 88 percent blue . Not counting the half hour each ramp up and ramp down. My SPS are growing well and the LPS lower in tank are big (huge) and puffy. I prefer the White/Blue as it looks a lot more normal . But I think my corals would kill me if I changed anything now. Still need to get a par meter for Curiosity and locking it down for the upcoming frag tank.

Jw258

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally prefer a more natural warmer kelvin rating but AB+ does a job.

I currently run a G5 XR15 Blue on my tank at 100%.

This is my current setup, that's at peak but has sunlight too. Its not actually that blue and I only get that sunlight for a few weeks in winter and summer.

20220105_111057.jpg

This is the tank of an evening. That's at the start of ramp down.

20220104_202711~2.jpg

I am debating getting two Pros to run on the upgrade to run AB+at peak but then reduce that spectrum on all three to suit my preference of an evening.

OP
OP
atoll

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally prefer a more natural warmer kelvin rating but AB+ does a job.

I currently run a G5 XR15 Blue on my tank at 100%.

This is my current setup, that's at peak but has sunlight too. Its not actually that blue and I only get that sunlight for a few weeks in winter and summer.

20220105_111057.jpg

This is the tank of an evening. That's at the start of ramp down.

20220104_202711~2.jpg

I am debating getting two Pros to run on the upgrade to run AB+at peak but then reduce that spectrum on all three to suit my preference of an evening.

Very nice indeed.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 129 59.7%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 63 29.2%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 77 35.6%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 37 17.1%
  • Other

Votes: 63 29.2%
Back