Blue Ribbon Eel Questions

MSB123

Someone out there put something smart here.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was gifted a blue ribbon eel by a friend who ordered it and had no idea about it, and now I have this 18" long eel in my QT tank. I have kept a snowflake eel successfully in the past, and I have never tried keeping ribbon eels. I would have never ordered it, but my friend decided to order it without my consent :). Any and all help is greatly appreciated!
I have a few questions:
1.) If he bites me, is it bad? (is he poisonous?)
2.) Is he reef safe (I don't have many small fish, almost all of my fish are 3-8".)
3.) What should I feed him? I haven't tried yet, as he came in about 1 hr ago and my friend just brought him over.
Thanks,
-MSB

OP
OP
MSB123

MSB123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

KMench

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had a black ribbon in my observation tank for a month now, the juvi stage of a blue ribbon. They are notorious for being difficult to feed, this is what I did and mine is settling in nicely. I immediately dosed prazipro, one reason they may not eat is because of internal parasites. I put a few small live ghost shrimp in the tank to live with him, and give him an opportunity to eat them at his leisure. On about the third day I noticed him mouthing one of the ghosties, but not really chomping down. I also have a jeweled eel and am familiar with other morays but the way this eel eats is very soft. I figured out he needs thinly sliced pieces of food an inch or so long. I pretty much had to put the food into his mouth at first, I first used a rigid tube with piece of fishing line to skewer the bits of food; now I use a pair of tongs and he takes it pretty well. His favorite food is silver fish I buy out of the frozen section at an asian market. He also eats smelt(silversides at the lfs), squid, shrimp, and krill. Again I found him to have a soft mouth and fed easier with the food cut into thin strips about half the width of his mouth and no longer than twice the length of the length of his mouth. My guy seems to be a very young small guy so the blue may eat more aggressively, but this activity did set me back a bit.

OP
OP
MSB123

MSB123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, thanks a lot! That's really helpful! How did you dose the prazipro?

OP
OP
MSB123

MSB123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had a black ribbon in my observation tank for a month now, the juvi stage of a blue ribbon. They are notorious for being difficult to feed, this is what I did and mine is settling in nicely. I immediately dosed prazipro, one reason they may not eat is because of internal parasites. I put a few small live ghost shrimp in the tank to live with him, and give him an opportunity to eat them at his leisure. On about the third day I noticed him mouthing one of the ghosties, but not really chomping down. I also have a jeweled eel and am familiar with other morays but the way this eel eats is very soft. I figured out he needs thinly sliced pieces of food an inch or so long. I pretty much had to put the food into his mouth at first, I first used a rigid tube with piece of fishing line to skewer the bits of food; now I use a pair of tongs and he takes it pretty well. His favorite food is silver fish I buy out of the frozen section at an asian market. He also eats smelt(silversides at the lfs), squid, shrimp, and krill. Again I found him to have a soft mouth and fed easier with the food cut into thin strips about half the width of his mouth and no longer than twice the length of the length of his mouth. My guy seems to be a very young small guy so the blue may eat more aggressively, but this activity did set me back a bit.
And which prazipro and how much did you use?

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, thanks a lot! That's really helpful! How did you dose the prazipro?

I think it's like 1 tsp per 20g into the water column, obviously remove any media and it will make skimmers go crazy. I'm not much for pvc in my tanks, but this was an observation tank so I put a length of pvc with a 45 degree elbow. He really took to the pvc so I did put one into the display he is going in, I buried it really nice and camouflaged the opening with rocks.

this stuff: http://www.hikariusa.com/solutions/healthaid/prazipro/
Dose and do a 25% water change after 5 days then redose, 5 days later another water change and add back carbon or whatever else you use.

Last edited:
OP
OP
MSB123

MSB123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok, I have PVC in the QT tank for now, I already had some for my QT tank normally. Do you remember what size bottle you used?

OP
OP
MSB123

MSB123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it's like 1 tsp per 20g into the water column, obviously remove any media and it will make skimmers go crazy. I'm not much for pvc in my tanks, but this was an observation tank so I put a length of pvc with a 45 degree elbow. He really took to the pvc so I did put one into the display he is going in, I buried it really nice and camouflaged the opening with rocks.

this stuff: http://www.hikariusa.com/solutions/healthaid/prazipro/
and did you only dose once? when you first got him?

KMench

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Typically you dose it once, wait 5-7 days and then dose it again. If you're worried about the eel being sensitive to the PP, you can run carbon 24 hours after dosing it. PP takes 24 hours to work, but will remain in the system for up to 72 otherwise.

OP
OP
MSB123

MSB123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
here is the tank he is going in- I did not buy the blue tang, he was a rescue, he is now 9" long and i love him :)
ooooooo.JPG

OP
OP
MSB123

MSB123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ill post pics in a bit, he is hiding atm

KMench

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice tank. What is the big fish in front of the blue tang?

OP
OP
MSB123

MSB123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its called a scat fish, he was also a rescue, they are normally a brackish fish, but he was conditioned for salt, so I took him in, he is awesome! He is a pig though and he eats everything- including all the nori for the tangs

OP
OP
MSB123

MSB123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are familiar with the hikairi frozen mysis cubes, i feed 3 of those a day

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 31.2%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.9%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 19.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 25.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back