Blue Ribbon eel

ZachsZoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just wondering if anyone owns or knows about the general care of a blue ribbon eel. I will be starting a 180 reef soon I am very interested in getting one. Are they reef safe? Why are they considered an "expert" animal to keep? How big do they get?

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have never kept one, but for a long time they were almost guaranteed to die in aquaria.

What I'm given to understand is that if they've got a secure den (PVC pipe warren under liverock) where they can hide the entire length of their bodies, they'll be more comfortable / less stressed.

Other members of the #reefsquad may be able to add more insight.

Secure top is a must - they'll carpet-surf with little provocation.

~Bruce

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most refuse to eat anything but live food. They are a fish eater of small fish(think firefish sized and smaller). Some can be trained to be stick fed, but it takes work. They are also master escape artists. They do better in a tank built around them, not a good choice for a mixed reef.

OP
OP
ZachsZoo

ZachsZoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most refuse to eat anything but live food. They are a fish eater of small fish(think firefish sized and smaller). Some can be trained to be stick fed, but it takes work. They are also master escape artists. They do better in a tank built around them, not a good choice for a mixed reef.
Ya, that's what I was worried about. I will be upgrading to a 180, and I will be adding many small fish and inverts from my current tank so I suppose the eel is a no go. Thanks for your info!

Back