Blue ridge coral

Mandrew

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe the blue ridge coral is a soft coral, though it looks like an SPS almost.. anyways the lady at my LFS has had one in her tank for a few years and I've always been super interested in it but it's not for sale. She told me today her friend that has passed away now gave it to her a long time ago. And when I first seen it in her store it was for sale but she was asking more than I was willing to pay for it. After all this time I wish I would have bought it back then because for some mysterious reason I'm obsessed with it lol. So I was wondering if anyone on here has any blue ridge corals in there tanks and would like to share a photo? I'd appreciate it. I sure would like to buy one someday [emoji38]

OP
OP
Mandrew

Mandrew

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
See that's what I thought too but when I did some reading I'm pretty sure it said a soft or leather Coral. And the lady at the LFS has good luck with hers in what sometimes looks like far from optimal water quality.

OP
OP
Mandrew

Mandrew

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
c282724f1ed57573a57009d121bd71c0.png

JaimeAdams

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I stand corrected. I obviously had to go research the thing after that. Now I am also rethinking my understanding of what makes a coral a softy. I thought having a hard skeleton kind of made it a stoney, but then again I guess there are the red skeletons of oregon pipe coral as well. I guess I better go start re-reading a few books!;Bookworm

JoeIII

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The growth patterns on mature colonies are amazing as well - most of the rock in my tank is blue ridge skeleton and it is very interesting.

While scientifically it may be a soft coral, it's requirements better resemble hard corals and it is my opinion they should be treated as such in our systems.

OP
OP
Mandrew

Mandrew

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I could get a piece I would. Doesn't look exciting but has a certain draw to it.

I don't know what draws me to it lol. It is pretty boring to be honest. It's just the fact that the LFS has had it for years and I can't buy it from them lol. It like taunts me [emoji35]

3mm3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know what draws me to it lol. It is pretty boring to be honest. It's just the fact that the LFS has had it for years and I can't buy it from them lol. It like taunts me [emoji35]

A nice big colony with the tips growing out of the water just looks sweet

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 47 41.6%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 12 10.6%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 32 28.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 20 17.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.8%
Back