Blue Spot Jawfish Help

KJoFan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I picked up a BSJ a couple weeks ago from my LFS. It burrowed in a few different spots and gobbled up NLS pellets like a champ. However, the past several days he's not burrowing, just hiding and not eating. I've tried pellets, Rod's Food, and garlic soaked mysis with no luck. He has a couple discolored areas, but nothing major. Anyone have any suggestions to help him turn around, or will he possibly pull out of it? I'd really hate to lose him.

All other fish are fine, so I don't think it's a parameter issue, tank temp is 74-75 which should be more accommodating to him as well.

Open to suggestions.

rworegon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you noticed any aggression? The discoloration you mention makes me think he is being bullied, This would also explain the hiding and not eating.

OP
OP
KJoFan

KJoFan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A pic of him just now. The coralline kind of gets in the way.

8utypa9e.jpg

OP
OP
KJoFan

KJoFan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you noticed any aggression? The discoloration you mention makes me think he is being bullied, This would also explain the hiding and not eating.

I haven't noticed any, but doesn't mean it isn't occurring. I actually just now removed him from the main tank into my frag tank, which has sand in it as well. The only other fish in there is a leopard wrasse which I don't think will care about him one way or another.

rworegon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would put something in there for him to borrow under. I've seen many people use large barnicle shells or similar. They will borrow under them and just stick their heads out. Will also make him feel secure.

jokervueboi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Species Profile: Opistognathus rosenblatti (Bluespot Jawfish) | AquaNerd

"One real problem with bluespot jawfish is disease. These jawfish are particularly sensitive to a brooklynella-like infection (typically associated with clownfish) and the mysterious Blue Spot Jawfish Disease. If a blue spot is infected with brooklynella, there is really no hope left for it. The fish will quickly deteriorate and die withing 24 hours or less. The jawfish will show signs of peeling skin and color loss all over its body, and it will refuse to eat. It may or may not wander around the aquarium, but it will most certainly leave its burrow and die. It is very painful to watch as there is virtually nothing you can do to save it at this point."

OP
OP
KJoFan

KJoFan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The sand is 2-3" deep and there is rubble in there for him to use as a burrow. He's just not in a spot where you can see it right now. My powerhead likes to rearrange the sand, and that particular spot doesn't have much. But there is plenty in other areas of the tank along with plenty of various sized rubble pieces. I don't think that's his issue. It's only a 30g tank, he can't get too lost. :)

OP
OP
KJoFan

KJoFan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Species Profile: Opistognathus rosenblatti (Bluespot Jawfish) | AquaNerd

"One real problem with bluespot jawfish is disease. These jawfish are particularly sensitive to a brooklynella-like infection (typically associated with clownfish) and the mysterious Blue Spot Jawfish Disease. If a blue spot is infected with brooklynella, there is really no hope left for it. The fish will quickly deteriorate and die withing 24 hours or less. The jawfish will show signs of peeling skin and color loss all over its body, and it will refuse to eat. It may or may not wander around the aquarium, but it will most certainly leave its burrow and die. It is very painful to watch as there is virtually nothing you can do to save it at this point."

I have read about this, and I don't think that's the issue. He has decent color still and a spot of discoloration isn't peeling or anything like it suggests. I'm not saying you're wrong, but I hope you are! :)

He's moving a little sand currently, which I hope is a good sign, I just wish I could get him to eat something!

jokervueboi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
YES, I hope i am wrong! Hate too see something so beautiful die T_T*
I wish you the best of luck! Hopefully it's just small stress to new environment

I was looking to buy myself one of these too! Please keep us updated on his/her condition.

Last edited:
OP
OP
KJoFan

KJoFan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It seems to be interested in pellets today. And I believe it ate a couple earlier. That's not much, but it's progress I hope. It's still not really burrowing but I think the rubble present is a bit too big for it, so I will have to look for some smaller stuff to put in there.

It just seems so scared/hesitant, not exploring at all to find a better location.

OP
OP
KJoFan

KJoFan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
have you tried soaking your food in garlic??

I did try some mysis soaked in garlic yesterday, he didn't go for it, but he'd just been moved into my frag tank shortly before that so he may have just been too freaked out to give it a go. I'll try again. :)

buddythelion

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BSJ are such a finicky species. They do great for a few weeks and then just go on a protest. Still one of my favorite fish though.

OP
OP
KJoFan

KJoFan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried some garlic soaked frozen mysis again. He may have eaten a few pieces but mostly he took them in, turned his head and spit them out. Not sure if he just doesn't like mysis or what. I've tried pellets like he was eating and he doesn't even act like they are food so.....I don't know.

OP
OP
KJoFan

KJoFan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update:
BSJ is still not really eating much. I feed directly with a turkey baster, garlic soaked frozen mysis. Seems to be the only thing he shows interest in. He spits out or ignores most of them. He might ingest a couple each time. I don't know if he means to eat them or if he accidentally swallows them. :smile:

But he's still alive and still has good color, just skinny.

He's not burrowing. I think he probably feels insecure but I don't know how to make him burrow. I've put some pvc pieces in there to help him out but so far he just hovers in a corner with hardly any sand in it. Dummy.

Miza

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My jawfish is jumpy and scared UNTIL I place at least a cup or two of broken live rock rubble in a pile near his burrow or chosen spot Then all of a sudden he's perky, hungry and active. YMMV

OP
OP
KJoFan

KJoFan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My jawfish is jumpy and scared UNTIL I place at least a cup or two of broken live rock rubble in a pile near his burrow or chosen spot Then all of a sudden he's perky, hungry and active. YMMV

Yeah I really think that's a lot of his issue. But goodness, short of shoving him into the pvc or something I don't know how to get him comfy. He sure is being a little jerk! :)

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 38 49.4%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 41 53.2%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 16 20.8%
  • None.

Votes: 19 24.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 9.1%
Back