Blue spotted jawfish anyone?

VbReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had 2.
Both are no longer here
Even with tops... I left a top off one night. Just cracked like 3" he found it.
The replacement developed a spot(bacterial infection I'm guessing) right above its tail within 2 days and was doing death rolls a day later.

Love these fish but think I'll go with with a group of pearls again.

I have just uploaded these images:

Was just a spot. Spread quickly

I have just uploaded these images:

alfani

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why do you say that because of the jumping? I have my tank covered...
one day, you'll forget or got lazy covering up it after cleaning your tank, they'll jump though smallest hole, it would also go into your overflow box. one time it goes into my overflow, i spend hours taking my connection apart to take him out, then next morning it went back again. second time i gave it, then couple days later, found him in my filter bag dead

VbReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think jumping can be mitigated with the right setup. My modular marine overflow has teeth and a top so only the smallest of creatures could enter.
100% covered

IMO biggest contributing factor to success would be running a cold-water species tank.

OP
OP
R

reefaman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I cover the tank each night and he not jumping as much he just keep moving his den exploring the tank in the morning sometimes he's in the corner just swimming around

CindyKz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO biggest contributing factor to success would be running a cold-water species tank.

Do you think it has to be "cold" or just temperate? From what I've read, they are ok in high 60's, which isn't really "cold".

I have a BSJF, which I regret buying, but he's here and he is a cool fish. Right now he's in the hospital tank I treated him in for the typical sores (he survived), no heater or chiller, tank runs 68-70F. I am going to set up a dedicated tank for him this weekend. I'm debating buying a chiller. I'd like to put some tankmates in if I can find some species that will be ok with the temps. And of course, with him. It will be his own little 32 gal kingdom.

OP
OP
R

reefaman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you guys think this is this is the best pic I could get at the moment he was coming out his den more while feeding until a crab came over and scared him but he is missing some spots on one side do u think it's just scraping or something else
57066d1c6d2fe270b7f3440158ac470f.jpg
28fdf84cc716d67b5c1738b3832f424a.jpg
0e1401c35390304a8646bb951b7af2a2.jpg

VR28man

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Apologies for posting a link to another forum, but this was informative to me:

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2570213

It seems to me that it's possible to keep, but it needs a bit of planning. It's interesting to hear the back and forth about the temperature - some say it's a fairly coldwater fish, others say it's from above the first thermocline (i.e. its temp should be 70-75ish, which it seems to me would make it compatible temp wise with many other Gulf of Mexico livestock).

But, it'll be a pearly jawfish for me, when my tank gets up. :) But the BSJs are really beautiful.

VbReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think that 70 would be a good place to start. Has to be much easier on them then the 78-80 most run at.

And reefaman,
Hard to say based on those pics. If it's an easy catch may want to consider treating with an anti-fungal??otherwise the stress could do more harm.

And if they are always in a different den or out in the open at light on try adding shells and rubble around all the dens it's using. My 2nd one was doing this and I left the top cracked and the next morning it was on the carpet.
I can't get my brain around why they do this? Do they do this in the ocean when not happy or is this behavior only seen in captivity?

Liquid360

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think that 70 would be a good place to start. Has to be much easier on them then the 78-80 most run at.

And reefaman,
Hard to say based on those pics. If it's an easy catch may want to consider treating with an anti-fungal??otherwise the stress could do more harm.

And if they are always in a different den or out in the open at light on try adding shells and rubble around all the dens it's using. My 2nd one was doing this and I left the top cracked and the next morning it was on the carpet.
I can't get my brain around why they do this? Do they do this in the ocean when not happy or is this behavior only seen in captivity?

I suspect it might be a temperature thing. They might leap from the water to cool their body. It's important to note that most home reefs are kept in the vicinity of 78+. There's a lot of dif between 78 and 70 or lower. I have absolutely zero evidence of this, but makes sense to me [emoji6]

OP
OP
R

reefaman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

And reefaman,

I feel you and I did add rubble around his den he took to it immediately ... the final den he's set up he seems happy with as I cover the tank each night but haven't been hearing any splashing and he's very lively... It will be too stressful to catch him i believe

OP
OP
R

reefaman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I suspect it might be a temperature thing. They might leap from the water to cool their body. It's important to note that most home reefs are kept in the vicinity of 78+. There's a lot of dif between 78 and 70 or lower. I have absolutely zero evidence of this, but makes sense to me [emoji6]
I usually keep mine around 70 no higher 72

Liquid360

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No chiller just keep apartment cool and turned my heater all way down

I keep my home at very very constant 68deg. I use no heater on my tank. Without my chiller, my tank averages well over 80, usually 83-84. The heat of the pumps from skimmer and return pump generate heat and I even use an MP40 to prevent further heating. I use a lg probe chiller on mine. I could keep the tank at near freezing if I wanted. I was given the chiller from my father 750g reef system [emoji4]
Unless you have no pumps at all there's no way your tank stays under 70. That would defy laws of physics.

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

reefaman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I keep my home at very very constant 68deg. I use no heater on my tank. Without my chiller, my tank averages well over 80, usually 83-84. The heat of the pumps from skimmer and return pump generate heat and I even use an MP40 to prevent further heating. I use a lg probe chiller on mine. I could keep the tank at near freezing if I wanted. I was given the chiller from my father 750g reef system [emoji4]
Unless you have no pumps at all there's no way your tank stays under 70. That would defy laws of physics.
I said 70 to 72 the highest it been is 74 if I open the blinds and let sunlight hit it

OP
OP
R

reefaman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a better picture of him since I got my water more clear he is still eating with a voracious appetite he comes up out of his hole with such aggressiveness that he doesn't seem sick but he is missing some spots on this one side the other side looks fine that is my only concern
1521afcc7633c843989640e8a22dc23b.jpg

cdmckinzie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The price has surely and steadily come down over the years. We even have a local LFS that specials it from time to time at $40.
Where is your lfs? I live in central Florida but have only seen them online for $120.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 36 24.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 49 33.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 43 29.7%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 13 9.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.8%
Back