Blue spotted jawfish anyone?

Liquid360

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As personable and stunning as these fish are, if we could keep them, we'd all have one. There's a very good reason very few aquarists have one.

OP
OP
R

reefaman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've tried BSJ a couple time and have 100s of pounds of sand left over from making deep sand beds for them. Minimum sand bed I think you can get away with is 6". Rock work needs to be sitting on the glass bottom of the tank or supported using some sort of rods.

If that is black sand I see in your tank that is probably a no go. The grains are typically too rough for the fish's liking and it will refuse to burrow. I think it would just build a cave under a rock in your setup and would likely be stressed most of the time.
Yea...it's looking a little too risky I'll have to use in store credit for something else... it's mixed sand BTW if that changes anything

sc50964

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea...it's looking a little too risky I'll have to use in store credit for something else... it's mixed sand BTW if that changes anything

If you like jawfish, there is also the pearly white kind. They are much easier.

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

It's mixed sand but not nearly a deep enough sand bed to make a BSJF happy.

Kmsutows

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've tried 2 in the past. One jumped and the other spasmed and died instantly right before my eyes with no explanation. They need dedication for ensuring they get enough food and wayyyyyy deeper sanded than you have.

Eva Rose

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pearly jawfish are personable, do better in regular reef tank temps and are colonial. Look up Pearly requirements to see if you could add 2 to your tank. Pearly jawfish almost glow and are beautiful jawfish.

OP
OP
R

reefaman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I will give update as they recommended that I add 2 bag of sand which I did and added him today....

CindyKz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I made the mistake of buying one after doing "not enough" research...right now he is in a hospital tank after contracting sores that disintegrated his tail. I think this is known elsewhere on this forum as "blue spot jawfish disease". He just started to eat and behave sort of normally after several days of stressed, frantic swimming. Poor little guy. I've regretted purchases before but this is the worst.

I did just enough research to think he would be ok in my 75 gal mixed reef. I hope he makes it, but I'm not sure what I'll do with him if he does. My LFS might take him back for store credit. My husband (bless his soft hearted soul) was the one who really wanted him in the first place and was the motivation for my out of character impulse buy...he is actually willing to set up a separate AIO for the little guy. IF he lives.

Here's a couple pics....

20170511_194223.jpg

1494701570687.jpg

Liquid360

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I made the mistake of buying one after doing "not enough" research...right now he is in a hospital tank after contracting sores that disintegrated his tail. I think this is known elsewhere on this forum as "blue spot jawfish disease". He just started to eat and behave sort of normally after several days of stressed, frantic swimming. Poor little guy. I've regretted purchases before but this is the worst.

I did just enough research to think he would be ok in my 75 gal mixed reef. I hope he makes it, but I'm not sure what I'll do with him if he does. My LFS might take him back for store credit. My husband (bless his soft hearted soul) was the one who really wanted him in the first place and was the motivation for my out of character impulse buy...he is actually willing to set up a separate AIO for the little guy. IF he lives.

Here's a couple pics....

20170511_194223.jpg

1494701570687.jpg

Sad ☹️ we've all been guilty of "I know what I'm doing and others just did it wrong" syndrome. Hope he pulls through!

OP
OP
R

reefaman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where he has decided to set up... he has been eating well too I will feed him once a day the other fish interact with him but no conflict I did hear the water splash at night he wasn't jumping just swimming through the top of the water really fast... weird? He seems more content then he was in the lfs
f1759c3cdd00d60e5b4d663a1462f0ec.jpg
bebcc49f2972a4d165dd74ea9754bb29.jpg

Kmsutows

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He needs rock/debri rubble and more sand is ideal. He swam like that because he's not content... looking for a way out. I hope you have a very tight fitting lid or you will find him on the ground.

alfani

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i had a few of these but they all jump sooner or later. keep tight lid ...
love the personality

Liquid360

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i had a few of these but they all jump sooner or later. keep tight lid ...
love the personality

They do have a propensity for depression. It's why they dig caves. Try dosing your water with Prozac and they might be less prone to suicide.

RIP Chris Cornell ☹️

OP
OP
R

reefaman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Correction he doesn't leave his den only to eat right now... for some reason my yellow wrasse was splashing the water I don't hear him at night anymore tho

OP
OP
R

reefaman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And they recommend feeding him 3 times a day what you guys think I been feeding twice

Stuck to your aquarium: Do you put reef-related stickers on or around your reef system?

• I have reef-related stickers everywhere!

Votes: 5 2.9%
  • I have some reef-related stickers on or around my reef system.

Votes: 51 29.1%
  • I have some reef-related stickers, but not on my reef system.

Votes: 37 21.1%
  • I don’t have reef-related stickers, but I am interested in getting some.

Votes: 20 11.4%
  • I have no interest in reef-related stickers.

Votes: 60 34.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.1%
Back