Blue spotted jawfish anyone?

reefaman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I saw a beautiful specimen (b.s.jawfish) in my lfs store last week and I wanted to get it right away but 90.00 for a fish without doing some thorough research isn't how I move so to keep him from being purchased and to see how he woukd do in captivity for a few days in their tanks i put half down on his life... what I would like to know for some experiences and ppl who know is the best way to car for this guy are they know to f.i.d.s. (fish instant death syndrome jus made it up) like my diamond goby succumbed to? I've done my homework on his diet and living habits but I woukd like some personal stories on longevity and care for this creature please

sc50964

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They jump and will find even the smallest opening so the tank top needs to be completely covered. Depends on their size, egg crates may have too big of a gap as well. They also need substrate that's a mix of coarse and fine sand for them to burrow and build tunnels. You will need to have a stable hard scape so it doesn't collapse as they burrow. It will be fine with the goby but they don't do well with any large fish like the tangs and angels since they get intimidated easily and can't compete for food.

Keepswiming

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had several of these fish. Awesome fish! Unfortunately they do not do well in captivity, and are known to not have a long lifespan in our tanks. That being said, you can absolutely keep one of you find a healthy specimen and take the proper precautions. They are 100% jumpers! You WILL need a lid, no doubt about it.

I would say make sure he is fat, they usually come in with big heads and skinny bodies(don't get this one). Also, make sure he is eating and not flashing (scratching against rocks or substrate). OR any visual signs of parasites or Lesions. Lastly, if I remember correctly they like colder water, but I kept one for over a year in my reef at 77 degrees. My brother also has one that has been in his tank for over a year. Good luck, and great job doing your research! It will benefit you in the long run in this hobby.

Chris8232

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had mine for little over 8 months. Lots of character by far my favorite. Kept at 76°. At night I've seen him jump testing my glass top. Give him hand fulls of rubble rock time to time. There constantly building. Large mitis, lrs. Seems happy. Hope it last.. payed $120 on saltwaterfish. I know in Miami they go for $60-$80

Chris8232

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's a shot
9ddbe2e4b434438840bf704ea5eb6ff6.jpg

sc50964

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had mine for little over 8 months. Lots of character by far my favorite. Kept at 76°. At night I've seen him jump testing my glass top. Give him hand fulls of rubble rock time to time. There constantly building. Large mitis, lrs. Seems happy. Hope it last.. payed $120 on saltwaterfish. I know in Miami they go for $60-$80

The price has surely and steadily come down over the years. We even have a local LFS that specials it from time to time at $40.

OP
OP
R

reefaman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had several of these fish. Awesome fish! Unfortunately they do not do well in captivity, and are known to not have a long lifespan in our tanks. That being said, you can absolutely keep one of you find a healthy specimen and take the proper precautions. They are 100% jumpers! You WILL need a lid, no doubt about it.

I would say make sure he is fat, they usually come in with big heads and skinny bodies(don't get this one). Also, make sure he is eating and not flashing (scratching against rocks or substrate). OR any visual signs of parasites or Lesions. Lastly, if I remember correctly they like colder water, but I kept one for over a year in my reef at 77 degrees. My brother also has one that has been in his tank for over a year. Good luck, and great job doing your research! It will benefit you in the long run in this hobby.
Thanks great response... so lifespan we're talking is maybe two years? And I will check for all these things when I return to store I mat pop by and check on him today... when I was in there he was hiding in his little peep spot and darting out occasionally... my diamond goby never tried to jump out tho I do have glass top and was going to construct screen to cover rest but I have small docile fish two chromis banana wrasse two clown fish I think he will have a peaceful environment in my tank

OP
OP
R

reefaman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The price has surely and steadily come down over the years. We even have a local LFS that specials it from time to time at $40.
Now see at 40 I wouldn't mind the risk as much lol especially since they don't have long lifespan

Keepswiming

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks great response... so lifespan we're talking is maybe two years? And I will check for all these things when I return to store I mat pop by and check on him today... when I was in there he was hiding in his little peep spot and darting out occasionally... my diamond goby never tried to jump out tho I do have glass top and was going to construct screen to cover rest but I have small docile fish two chromis banana wrasse two clown fish I think he will have a peaceful environment in my tank
There is no telling the lifespan. Sorry I couldn't be more of a help.

sc50964

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now see at 40 I wouldn't mind the risk as much lol especially since they don't have long lifespan

I don't buy them even at $40 cuz they are extremely hard to keep beyond a few months. Based on what I have read, their lifespan is just as long as other fish. I recently had a blue tang that died of old age after 15 years. Thus, I think these jawfish could do the same.

Keepswiming

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't buy them even at $40 cuz they are extremely hard to keep beyond a few months. Based on what I have read, their lifespan is just as long as other fish. I recently had a blue tang that died of old age after 15 years. Thus, I think these jawfish could do the same.
Aren't these statements contradicting? How can they be extremely hard to keep past a few months, yet their lifespan is just as long as other fish. It is fairly easy to keep other fish past a few months right?

Liquid360

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My LFS has them from time to time and even they advise against buying one unless you setup a large tank just for them with a 6-10in sandbed and lots of rubble and as said above, a tight lid. They have long lifespans, just not don't seem to do well in captivity over long periods.

sc50964

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aren't these statements contradicting? How can they be extremely hard to keep past a few months, yet their lifespan is just as long as other fish. It is fairly easy to keep other fish past a few months right?

They are hard to keep due to the difficulty to maintain the husbandry required. For all the reasons mentioned already (i.e. Jumping, tank mates,substrate, and the blue jawfish syndrome/disease), they aren't suitable for most home aquariums and hobbyists IMO.

Keepswiming

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are hard to keep due to the difficulty to maintain the husbandry required. For all the reasons mentioned already (i.e. Jumping, tank mates,substrate, and the blue jawfish syndrome/disease), they aren't suitable for most home aquariums and hobbyists IMO.
Right, my point exactly. Their lifespan is shorted by captivity, not short in general.
But i guess we can extend this to all fish, for the most part.

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right, my point exactly. Their lifespan is shorted by captivity, not short in general.
But i guess we can extend this to all fish, for the most part.

Actually some hobbyist are able to keep clowns for decades, and several years for other fish types. For some reason BSJF appear to be lacking in some aspect that eventually leads to a shortened life span, it could be nutritional, environmental such as elevated temps found in reef tanks, captivity may make them more susceptible to certain disease processes.
It's really too bad because they are such dynamic fish personality wise, mine used to watch me constantly from this perch. BSJF come from the Sea of Cortez, more temperate waters. Some hobbyist suggest that ideally BSJF need larger systems in which to make their burrows.
Since they are not breed in captivity and are collected in relatively small geographical area there will be a time when this fish's wild population numbers will be severely impacted.

OP
OP
R

reefaman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well tank specs are 75 gallon up and running for 2 years 5 inch sand bed med substrate which my goby loved and was all over the place

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ideally you want a deeper sand bed. Recommended is 3 inches of mixed substrate per Liveaquaria.

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=15+2971+748&pcatid=748

Though this fish is small, it really requires a large area of open expanse in a wide tank to feel comfortable. How much dimensionally? A good 3 feet between specimens and at least 2 feet front to back in the aquarium. There should be at least 8 inches of mixed fine sand and rubble substrate for them to create their burrows.

Now you say, “But I’ve seen other folks who have kept this jawfish in smaller settings, crowded even with other fishes!” Maybe they were lucky, but very likely their blue-spot did not live very long or well.

The practical implication is that water off the Californias is appreciably cooler than the same latitudes in the West Pacific, with the habitat of this jawfish being mostly in the upper 50s to upper 60s, and rarely lower 70s. Being an old timer in this interest, including the hobby, trade, and sciences, I have seen a few cycles of cool to colder water organisms sold (or may I state misrepresented) as tropicals, including Catalina gobies, Garibaldi, Metridium and Tealia anemones, moon snails, many types of algae, etc. None of these will live for long in too-warm surroundings, and neither will this coolwater jawfish. No matter where you live, it is very likely you will likely need to buy and run a chiller to keep this fish.

http://www.tfhmagazine.com/details/...sh-opistognathus-rosenblatti-full-article.htm

You can see that this fish is a challenge to keep.

Elysium

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've tried BSJ a couple time and have 100s of pounds of sand left over from making deep sand beds for them. Minimum sand bed I think you can get away with is 6". Rock work needs to be sitting on the glass bottom of the tank or supported using some sort of rods.

If that is black sand I see in your tank that is probably a no go. The grains are typically too rough for the fish's liking and it will refuse to burrow. I think it would just build a cave under a rock in your setup and would likely be stressed most of the time.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 20 33.9%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 14 23.7%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 8.5%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 8.5%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 14 23.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.7%
Back