Blue Spotted Leopard Wrasse

boeingn747

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently purchased a young blue spot leopard wrasse. He acclimated fine he has been in my reef for 3 weeks, I have notice that he doesn't come up from the sand bed very often and when he does he seems to just sit on the bottom. He has not done much swimming or exploring of the tank. I have a healthy pod population and I also raise baby brine shrimp. My concern is that he is not eating. He seems to just hide in the sand day in a day out. Sometimes I'll see him for 1hr in a weeks time. I don't know what to do to help him thrive. I thought about putting him in a acclimation box inside the tank so that he feels protected but can see the rest of the tank and I can monitor his food intake. Any thoughts on if this is normal and recommendations of what I could be doing or should do to make sure things are OK for him.

Idoc

Getting lazier and lazier with upkeep!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Leopards are notorious for having internal parasites. From my experience, once they stop feeding, it is a slow decline downward for many weeks until starvation takes them. If you are not seeing the fish eating in the absence of heavy breathing or any other outward signs of disease, then I'd be concerned about starvation from internal parasites.

They are considered an expert level fish due to the work involved getting them acclimated to frozen foods, etc... but it sounds like you are feeding live foods only. But, if the fish requires medicated to clear out any internal parasites, then mixing frozen food with medications are typically the best route to introduce meds. If the fish isn't eating or refusing to take frozen medicated foods, then at least treating the water column may be the only option...of course, all this being done in a quarantine tank.

Also, new leopards are also notorious for hiding a week or two after initial introduction into a new tank...but yours sounds like it might be past this hiding phase.

sksouthpaw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Second what Idoc said.. I dont think an hour a week is normal behavior. Additionally are there any fish that seem to be picking on him? If there is a more aggressive fish, It may be too scared to come out and graze for food.

USMC 4 LIFE

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He could be coming out at night due to other fish incompatibility.

Tank size and fish list?
Blue spotted leopard? Do you mean a male blue star? Pic of what you have?

OP
OP
B

boeingn747

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He could be coming out at night due to other fish incompatibility.

Tank size and fish list?
Blue spotted leopard? Do you mean a male blue star? Pic of what you have?
My tank is a 120 fat boy, I have blue spotted leopard wrasse. Young, so looks like a female at this point. My fish in the tank are 2 clowns, super small blue hippo, small powder blue, file fish, young royal gramma, and bangeye cardnial. 2 fire shrimp, 2 cleaner shrimp. Nothing that I have seen visibly picking at it. I have had hard to keep wrasses in the past with no issues. The reason why I am asking for help is because this seems long past the initial hiding phase. From my experience with harder wrasses seems like they will usually come out more and more after a week or so. I think something is up with this one. I also know that fish can make it a while without much to any food. I want to make sure I intervene asap to resolve any issues. Anyone know if parisepro is safe for them? I have another cycled tank with nothing in it that I could use as a hospital tank. I would like to get some antibiotics going soon I think. Just want to get some recommendations of good options that are safe for marine wrasses.

sksouthpaw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The female blue star is my favorite. Such beautiful/elegant fish, I hope you can get yours situated! She should love that tank. Let me know how you make out. Ill keep my fingers crossed for you!

qhduong

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I treated mine in qt with general cure and watched it eat before adding to display. It would come out for a few hours in the evening. I just feed heavily when I see it to encourage coming out more. After a week it's on the same schedule as my other fish and eating pellets... So tldr is feed heavy when you see it.

Saltyanimals

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Leopards are notorious for having internal parasites. From my experience, once they stop feeding, it is a slow decline downward for many weeks until starvation takes them. If you are not seeing the fish eating in the absence of heavy breathing or any other outward signs of disease, then I'd be concerned about starvation from internal parasites.

They are considered an expert level fish due to the work involved getting them acclimated to frozen foods, etc... but it sounds like you are feeding live foods only. But, if the fish requires medicated to clear out any internal parasites, then mixing frozen food with medications are typically the best route to introduce meds. If the fish isn't eating or refusing to take frozen medicated foods, then at least treating the water column may be the only option...of course, all this being done in a quarantine tank.

Also, new leopards are also notorious for hiding a week or two after initial introduction into a new tank...but yours sounds like it might be past this hiding phase.
Hiding for 1 or 2 weeks after adding to tank? Holy smokes... I'm a week in and assume it's already CUC food.

sksouthpaw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hiding for 1 or 2 weeks after adding to tank? Holy smokes... I'm a week in and assume it's already CUC food.
Ive heard (again this is quite subjective) of some blue stars hiding for up to a month, i cant verify the validity of those claims and most likely it was sneaking out in the middle of the night for a copepod snack. Ive had 2, my first came out after one day, but eventually died from parasites and being bullied by a fairy wrasse. I subsequently got rid of the fairy wrasse and got another blue star (her name is godzilla) and she went into hiding for about 2 days then came out and has been very healthy ever since. It was tricky training it off of Live Only foods. But now I have her eating food pellets, mysis, arctipods, reef frenzy, and really anything you throw in there. She is an amazing fish.

Saltyanimals

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those couple days are more reasonable, but just can’t imagine something of a medium size hiding out for over a week. I’ve read folks here say not to go digging around as this will cause more stress. I assume the opposite. It’s been mostly hiding safe and sound under the sand in a low stress environment. :). So what’s the harm in being briefly spooked. Lol. Worst case go bury yourself again. I’m on a 180 with a 2in leopard so wouldn’t know where to dig in the first place.

Saltyanimals

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Speak of the devil. I just saw it just now. That’s exactly 7 days after introducing it where I saw it for a whole 3 mins before it buried itself. It’s much bigger than I remember so I’m sure it needed to eat.

I happen to light a red candle and spin 3 times in my office chair when it came out. So FYI for those that can’t find their wrasses. Go get a candle and start spinning. ;)

OP
OP
B

boeingn747

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine would come out for a few minutes and then back in the sand. I think it was not Healthy. I tried to get it out to medicate it but by the time that I could get it it had been 3 weeks of not eating much of anything and ended up dying.

Saltyanimals

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sorry did your loss. Was he eating at the store when you bought him? I see you’re on a 120 so should have enough pods.

My came out of hiding after 7 days and slowly adjusting to my time zone. He’s activity picking at rocks nonstop but has not taken to any other food. I know he does eat because he came from a QT vendor thus would not have survived QT without eating.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 16 16.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 5 5.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 17 17.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 50 52.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 8.3%
Back