Blue Star Leopard Wrasse - am I expert enough?

GK805Ojai

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would really like a Blue Star Leopard Wrasse in my setup and my LFS has one but I did not buy it as they just got it in. If they still have it and can show she is eating I want to get her. My concern is that this is considered an expert only fish. I have over 40 years experience with freshwater and have kept many hard to keep species. My saltwater experience is only a few years and have only kept beginner fish. I have recently set up a 40 gallon to upgrade from a 20 gallon which is still running. I just purchased a Yellow Coris Wrasse which is in the 20 gallon and I thought I may have better luck establishing the Blue Star Wrasse if the Yellow Wrasse was with it. That way I can introduce them to my DT at the same time. I have seeded the DT with pods. The Yellow Wrasse that I just bought is already out and eating mysis like a pig in the 20 gallon that I am using as QT. This tank has sand and one piece of leftover rock with some coral. Normally I would QT in a bare bottom tank with only pvc pipes but with the wrasses needing sand to sleep in the 20 gallon existing tank seemed like the best option. Does anyone see an issue with my plan? Any advice on how to keep this beautiful fish happy and healthy is welcomed.
TIA

Crabby48

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if the fish is healthy and eating then they are tough. Also if your display is big enough. Only leopards that don’t take to frozen quick in my case are tiny ones and unhealthy ones. The little ones will eat pods then once bigger will start on frozen.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 159 57.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back