Blue Sympodium placement

Fishurama

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I was wanting to know and get a few pictures of if it was possible to add some blue Sympodium to the back wall of our tanks like people do with GSP, Cyphastrea, etc. Really don't want to add it to my live rock even though its a "slow grower" since it can still spread like xenia,gsp,etc but if I have to I have to and ill make an island. Snagged a frag for 9.99 on vivids livesale, looks great but would really rather have it growing on the back glass(would also add some really nice colors). So has anyone done it, pictures? How was their growth compared to growing on a rock? Assuming they can grow on glass, did they like the higher lighting(meaning did they grow upwards, downwards, or just spread kinda like "normal") any other info is appreciated. Reading up on these guys they are "newer" to the hobby, read all the basic places for info so anything you picked up that helped them keep great colors and grow is appreciated. Im an open book to these guys and willing to learn.

(This is the frag i got, looks stunning)

Atomic Sympodium.jpg

danieyella

unfriendly local swamp witch
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't tried with this one, just a few zoas so far. This is a gorgeous piece though so I hope it works for you if you decide to try! Hopefully someone can chime in with experience.

OP
OP
Fishurama

Fishurama

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't tried with this one, just a few zoas so far. This is a gorgeous piece though so I hope it works for you if you decide to try! Hopefully someone can chime in with experience.

Thanks for the reply, looks like i might have to give it a try and see if it is possible since no one else seems to have. Ill probably let it grow on an island for a bit, make some new polyps so i dont lose the whole frag, then take a few polyps and place them sporadically around the back glass to see if it is possible and how much light/flow is too much or even possible at all. Really would be cool to have a blue/green moving background haha.

Broke2Broke

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking to put something on my back wall as well and was thinking either these or some zoa's. Looks cool when people do GSP.

sawdonkey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a nice ball of this. I have it on my sandbed in a 30 inch deep tank. It’s a slow grower in my experience. It is lumpier than gsp. Not sure it would work in a wall.

Broke2Broke

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you just eliminated what most use. You could do like an encrusting SPS like cyphastrea or montipora but would be slow.

Nanorock1970

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you just eliminated what most use. You could do like an encrusting SPS like cyphastrea or montipora but would be slow.
Yeah, I saw the blue symposium and thought it would be cool to be different. I have GSP on an island now so I could easily frag it onto the back wall...I wanted to see if anyone has done the symposium.

JBissell1289

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah don’t think it would work too well as a back cover... from my experience with it it likes to tilt up towards the light more like a mushroom than gsp in that regard. Also lower lighting is better for color, higher lighting for faster growth. I have two pieces on on the sand bed so 10 inches below my stock fluval evo led and one about 6-7inches below. So 25ish par for sandbed and 50ish par for the he pieces on the rock. sandbed
2614D322-F1C3-441C-A7FA-43DD7A7B705A.jpeg

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 65 39.6%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 21.3%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 58 35.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.7%
Back