Blue Tang is behaving strangely

DarthSimon

Team R2R
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see you have 2 Hippo Tangs in the same tank. Do the 2 of them get along? Any aggression or fighting?

One thing to note, if this fish is not sick, (Not Saying he isn't) it seem like in both videos he is posturing with his reflection in the glass. I have seen fish do this many times, where its own reflection will freak them out thinking another of his own kind are all of sudden present. I am just throwing this theory out there.

Monitor this behavior and check back in. You said in your last post he is eating more and exhibiting less of this behavior??

Totally Agree with #4FordFamily , Blue Hippo's can have super strange behavior at times.

Last edited:
OP
OP
indeco

indeco

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see you have 2 Hippo Tangs in the same tang. Do the 2 of them get along? Any aggression or fighting?

One thing to note, if this fish is not sick, (Not Saying he isn't) it seem like in both videos he is posturing with his reflection in the glass. I have seen fish do this many times, where its own reflection with freak them out thinking another of his own kind are all of sudden present. I am just throwing this theory out there.

Monitor this behavior and check back in. You said in your last post he is eating more and exhibiting less of this behavior??

Totally Agree with #4FordFamily , Blue Hippo's can have super strange behavior at times.

Both get along very well as I introduce them together when both is small. The blue tang is the boss in the tank so no aggression against him.

He is eating as usual and the weird behavior is getting less but still able to see sign of stress as he will turn greyish from time to time.

Currently he is staying at one corner of the tank, continuing his weird behavior.

I already start kanaplex mixing with food for feeding and hopefully will cure any bacteria infection.

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One thing to note, if this fish is not sick, (Not Saying he isn't) it seem like in both videos he is posturing with his reflection in the glass. I have seen fish do this many times, where its own reflection with freak them out thinking another of his own kind are all of sudden present. I am just throwing this theory out there.

Could be that way. The key answer is if he/she doing this when the tank is dark?

Sincerely Lasse

OP
OP
indeco

indeco

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could be that way. The key answer is if he/she doing this when the tank is dark?

Sincerely Lasse

If is complete darkness he will go back to his cave to hide, but whenever there are light on, it will come out and go to the same corner and do his weird behavior.

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The odds that it is just a behavior rise with 90 % with that answer. If it was a neurologic, pathogenic or mechanical / chemical disease he / she would not sleep in the normal way IMO. But you have to decide treat/not treat based of your own observations of the fish and the comments in this thread (and from others).

Sincerely Lasse

OP
OP
indeco

indeco

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The odds that it is just a behavior rise with 90 % with that answer. If it was a neurologic, pathogenic or mechanical / chemical disease he / she would not sleep in the normal way IMO. But you have to decide treat/not treat based of your own observations of the fish and the comments in this thread (and from others).

Sincerely Lasse

I will pray for the best is due to his own reflection, but constantly exhibiting this behavior will eventually cause his death.

I will do a 5 days kanaplex treatment and believe it should not do any harm to the fishes but as you mentioned I will keep close observation and act accordingly.

lakai

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OMG, are you able to found out why?

Afraid not. It was one of those fine yesterday dead tomorrow type of deals. Was probably killed by the other hippo tang that was with it even though they seemed fine when I was around.

OP
OP
indeco

indeco

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Afraid not. It was one of those fine yesterday dead tomorrow type of deals. Was probably killed by the other hippo tang that was with it even though they seemed fine when I was around.

Sorry for your lost.

Hopefully my will make it through.

salty joe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you think it might be a reflection that riles him, why not put a piece of flat plastic inside the tank against the glass where he is bothered?

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 16 35.6%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 13.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 15 33.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 7 15.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.2%
Back