Blue Throat Trigger Fin Disease Identification

reefer415

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All, trying to identify this white growth on the fin of my Blue Throat. Been treating with Melafix but doesn't seem to be working. Assumed bacterial but maybe Fungal? It's very isolated to this one spot. What do you think? Thanks!

Screenshot 2023-11-13 at 12.17.20 PM.png

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Need pics under white light I tens
Hi All, trying to identify this white growth on the fin of my Blue Throat. Been treating with Melafix but doesn't seem to be working. Assumed bacterial but maybe Fungal? It's very isolated to this one spot. What do you think? Thanks!

Looks like fin ray damage and should heal on its own
If it becomes infected- treat with Maracyn 2 or seachem kanaplex

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Melafix is more of a tonic than an actual antibiotic. Fungal infections are really rare in marine fish. This is either a bacterial infection, a microsporidian or just a minor injury.

Does this fish show any other symptoms?

Jay

OP
OP
reefer415

reefer415

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Melafix is more of a tonic than an actual antibiotic. Fungal infections are really rare in marine fish. This is either a bacterial infection, a microsporidian or just a minor injury.

Does this fish show any other symptoms?

Jay
Thanks Jay, no other symptoms... Eating fine and active in the tank. He's actually in an observation tank and I was just about to put him in the display when I noticed this. There's a Powder Blue tang that gives him a little grief but not too bad. Is there an antibiotic you'd recommend having on hand? Thanks!

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Jay, no other symptoms... Eating fine and active in the tank. He's actually in an observation tank and I was just about to put him in the display when I noticed this. There's a Powder Blue tang that gives him a little grief but not too bad. Is there an antibiotic you'd recommend having on hand? Thanks!

The two "go to" antibiotics I use are Neoplex or Kanaplex. They are both broad spectrum, gram negative antibiotics.

Jay

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 135 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%
Back