blue throat trigger question

CoralWealth

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I have a pair of blue throat triggers, both are small but I can tell it is a female and male.

The male has a blue throat but no yellow on his tail yet, I am wondering around what size do they start to get this color as it is what I am most looking forward to? Mine is around 2-3 inches currently I would guess

HB AL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should be pretty soon, I have one around the size of yours and he's got the yellow on all his fins. What are you feeding them? Maybe he needs different food and or vitamins added to it. Do you see any yellow tips on any of his fins?

OP
OP
CoralWealth

CoralWealth

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Should be pretty soon, I have one around the size of yours and he's got the yellow on all his fins. What are you feeding them? Maybe he needs different food and or vitamins added to it. Do you see any yellow tips on any of his fins?

I have never added vitamins to anything and all my other fish are very very colorful and chunky but maybe he needs some?

I make my own homemade frozen food. Octopus, clams, shrimp, squid, mysis shrimp, brine shrimp, nori, silversides, krill. I feed this around 3 times a day and then i feed flakes 2-3 times a day.

They all go absolutely nuts for the frozen food when I feed and when the auto feeder turns for the flake food they eat it out of the feeding ring. Both triggers are fat too, I guess it may just be a matter of time

HB AL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would give it some time, in my case the tail got turned yellow 1st then the fin tips, it all happened pretty fast, less than a week and his jaw got bluer too at the same time.

budget buster

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a blue throat in my 125 it was one f my favorite fish. It was like a puppy, it would grunt when I walked up to the tank wanting fed. Sometimes it would squirt water at me to get my attention. Once he his happy in your tank you will be really glad you got him.
Mine came with yellow on the fins he was about 4.5 inches when i got him. Maybe he just needs to grow a little to get his color.

MIKE NY

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had a few over the years and my current one I purchased as a 1.5" juvi. It's aprox 2-3 years old and about 4"now and it just recently started changing to male ......but just all the rest it's starting to chase smaller fish so I feed it heavily to curtail that aggression until I can move it.

HB AL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had a few over the years and my current one I purchased as a 1.5" juvi. It's aprox 2-3 years old and about 4"now and it just recently started changing to male ......but just all the rest it's starting to chase smaller fish so I feed it heavily to curtail that aggression until I can move it.
Although mine doesn't do that my Sargassum likes to do that to any size fish, he even makes this nasty chomping sound but he doesn't actually bite them. Fish will be fish and as long as he's not trying to kill the other fish I don't worry about it.

HB AL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thinking back when his tail got the yellow it seemed to happen overnight, he might just be holding back the yellow for some reason if that's even possible.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 41 22.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 60 33.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 58 32.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 17 9.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.2%
Back