Blue Throat Trigger safe for Reef?

WVReefJunkie

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I have a 220 gallon reef tank that has been running for about sixteen months. I have currently four surgeonfish and magnificent foxface approx. five inches in length with some smaller fish. I didn't want to purchase anymore tangs, because I am afraid my Purple tang would kill it. I was thinking on getting a male blue throat. Does anyone out there can give some history about this fish in a community reef tank, thanks.

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had a pair (male and female) of blue throats in a mix reef / community tank. Never had a problem with them bothering any corals. I will point out that I had a large coral banded shrimp that use to face off against the trigger. This went on for two years or so. The shrimp eventually disappeared. I'm thinking it caught the shrimp off-guard. The male also had a personality and would come and greet you when you entered the room. However, I do believe that some websites list blue throats as, "with caution." Again, I never had an issue with corals.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Generally as mentioned above, you will be fine. Most issues with triggers are with shrimp or other inverts other than nems and coral.

cmanning317

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They will destroy (rearrange)your rockwork...and eat your snails and crabs. ..good luck

SteadyC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It will be one full bellied trigger from eating all your rocks. Be careful...

~CI
I have a male and a female in a mixed reef, they haven't eaten the shrimp or any of the snails, haven't moved rocks, haven't touched any corals, even ones on the decline that other fish pick at, good tank citizens for me.

MikeyB

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a male/female in my 150 gal in my tank as well. Great fish, havent bothered any coral/shrimp/snails or even any other fish.

mattvisocky2003

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had mine in a mixed reef for 12 months and he is the best fish I have. Does not eat anything, although I have no shrimp and feed 4 times a day. Rearranges NOTHING. He is about 6.5 inches

mattvisocky2003

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had mine in a mixed reef for 12 months and he is the best fish I have. Does not eat anything, although I have no shrimp and feed 4 times a day. Rearranges NOTHING. He is about 6.5 inches

STL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had a blue throat male triggerfish for years now. When I got him, he was small, about 2.5". He lost his male coloring for about a year, likely due to harassment by a "peaceful" green chromis. He's been back to his normal bright colors for a couple years now.

Great personality - the only fish that will come check out what I'm doing when I'm arm deep in the tank. I've seen our cleaner shrimp cleaning him, and he's never shown an interest in eating anything but fish food and nori. He doesn't do his own aquascaping either. He does have a cave he has claimed for his own, and when he's in there, he pokes his head out through a top hatch which is pretty cool to see.

A couple things to note - screen your top, even if you have a canopy. These fish are jumpers and can injure themselves. Try to get a small one, I've read they adapt to tank life better than a large one.

ice fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive had one for a good 2 weeks now in my DT after a month of QT. He hasnt touched my rocks, coral, or inverts. But he HATED my lionfish. So i would say go for it

bwrag

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have a pair in my mixed reef. had a cleaner shrimp for a year then the male ate him. they also got a hold of tiger pistol shrimp and shredded him. Mine are good with everything but shrimp. they don't bother emerald crabs at all either.

HB AL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had a bluethroat in my reef tank for 2 years now, doesnt bother a thing, he leaves everything alone, snails, hermits, clams, cleaner and fire shrimp, corals etc... a great tank mate.

mike werner

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thinking about trying a pair but still a little scared with 6 cleaner shrimp in the mix.had a male for years with no shrimp and he never messed with the rock work that I could see.i do have hundreds of pounds of rock so small nibbling would not be noticed that easy.

ice fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thinking about trying a pair but still a little scared with 6 cleaner shrimp in the mix.had a male for years with no shrimp and he never messed with the rock work that I could see.i do have hundreds of pounds of rock so small nibbling would not be noticed that easy.
The only "damage" He could possibly do is wedge himself in your rockwork somewhere that has corals and disturb them or chip a few. Thats the only harm they would do. As far as shrimp goes. They wont touch it. especially if the shrimp are already in the tank. If you put some after then there is a very slight risk but since they are plankton eaters the chances are very slim. They get more aggressive as they get used to the tank in my experience with them so make sure they are the last or next to last fish you add to the tank

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My pair are great. Had them over a year now (at least the female). The male is funny. He comes to the front of the tank and says hi all the time and eats out of my hand. I have gorgs, nems and leathers in their tank, so they do not bother them. I had clams, but my puffer was bugging it before I tried the triggers.

They are really cool fish if you ask me. I also have a rabbit fish and yellow tang. All get along fine.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 15 21.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 10 14.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 36 52.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 8.7%
Back