Blue Throat Trigger safe for Reef?

I just released a male with my sargassum and they are great in my tank.


7df61e16301276550de54bbfc218a56c.jpg
 
I had one in a mixed reef tank with a cleaner shrimp for a year or so. I had not fed the tank due to a week long vacation. When I returned and fed the fish the shrimp swam up to my hand to grab food and was quickly bit in half by the trigger. As crazy as it sounds, it seemed like the trigger realized his mistake and didn't finish eating the shrimp. I had soft corals only and it did not bother any. He did knock over or push around some smaller rocks and frags in his search for food.
 
I've always had blue throat triggers in my FOWLER and reef tanks. They are one of the most well behaved triggers in my opinion. They loved being cleaned by my cleaner shrimp and never nipped at them. Granted I had the cleaners in BEFORE the triggers, so the cleaners were well established. I never had a problem with them harming any of my coral either.
 
How about Niger triggers? I see they just about give them away.
lg_75059_Niger_Triggerfish_B.jpg

Due to variations within species, your item may not look identical to the image provided.

la-prod-sale.gif
SAVE up to 32%!
Niger Triggerfish(Odonus niger) Item: CN-75059
$ 36.99
Sale $ 20.00
 
I've had Niger Triggers too. You have to be careful with them. Those can be a "luck of the draw" kind of trigger. I've seen some very docile ones at my local fish stores and others that are just down-right mean.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH PART OF YOUR SETUP IS HARDEST TO REACH OR REMOVE FOR ROUTINE MAINTENANCE?

  • Glass behind or beside the tank

    Votes: 17 21.5%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 7 8.9%
  • Sump or rear filtration chambers

    Votes: 11 13.9%
  • Skimmer or other filtration equipment

    Votes: 10 12.7%
  • Overflow or plumbing

    Votes: 13 16.5%
  • Lights or lids

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Mine is pretty easy to access!

    Votes: 20 25.3%
  • Other—tell us what I missed

    Votes: 1 1.3%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new