Blue Throw Trigger

Treefer32

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I got a Blue throat Trigger yesterday. First off I don't QT, however, I do my best to not put the fish's water in my display. I temp acclimate for a couple hours, then I drip acclimate for half hour to an hour depending how far off salinity is from my display to the store's. In this case it was a divers den fish and it's salinity was spot on to mine. So, just acclimated for PH and chemistry in a five gallon bucket.

I then usually carefully net the fish and transfer quickly to my display. .

He had a top pointy fin get stuck in the net, that is now missing on him. Must have broke off in the net when I tried to get him out of the net. He's doing great today! One of my tangs picked on him some, but, he ignored the tang and is swimming out in the open, he's eating, and looks to be doing really well. Eating more than I'd expect after 24 hours of travel in a bag. Looks healthy otherwise...

Will the fin grow back or is he deformed now? (It's a male Blue throat). I don't know from a physics / biology standpoint what that fin was for? Hopefully nothing critical.

Thoughts?

Yes, hind sight, I should have used a container not a net... I didn't even think of it. I have a nice soft fabric net, I thought it'd be fine, but, somehow they always find a way to get stuck in the net.

Ribo15

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not sure if it will grow back. That spikey fin thing is used as a locking mechanism that they use to wedge and hold themselves into crevices in the rocks so they can’t be attacked. Google trigger fish they are quite interesting! Someone might chime in with their thoughts on its regrowth as I have no idea.

Mr_Knightley

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
are you sure it isn't just retracted, or did you see it come off in the net? They compress the spine against their skull when not in use.

OP
OP
Treefer32

Treefer32

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, he still wedges himself in the rocks. It could be. If he can get it really close, then maybe, I didn't see anything come off in the net. I just assumed it was missing. he had it deployed alot in the bucket and the net.

OP
OP
Treefer32

Treefer32

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He's all good. I saw him out swimming with that fin up. The tip looks slightly damaged, but he's fine. A great personality fish. Right now he wants a partner. He keeps searching my clean glass for his reflection. This one was identified as a male, can I add a female at a later time or will they just kill each other?

Flame2hawk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He's all good. I saw him out swimming with that fin up. The tip looks slightly damaged, but he's fine. A great personality fish. Right now he wants a partner. He keeps searching my clean glass for his reflection. This one was identified as a male, can I add a female at a later time or will they just kill each other?
Did y ever add a female? How’s he doing?

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 6 6.7%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 4.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 5.6%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 70 77.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 5.6%
Back