Blue Zoo Mushroom Grab Bag - A little underwhelming and I uncertain if this one is doing well (First Coral)

crash_wheeler

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I received a Mushroom Grab Bag from Blue Zoo - A little underwhelming to be completely transparent. These 4 tiny things are the first coral I have added to my tank. I have not had coral for 20 years so it's safe to say I am internet educated at this point.

Out of the 4 items I received only two remain. They have survived so far because they were larger than the pea sized items that I received with it. There was a pea sized ones that was very cool but it was so small that it floated into my pre filter for a night and looked to have lost their color.

I digress. The one mushroom (yet to officially be identified) seems to be happy where it is at so far (the one with the green bubble looking spots)

The largest of the items added doesn't seem to be doing well (The pinkish/white one with the tentacles) . Should this (unidentified coral) look like this or should I move it to somewhere with more/less light? Is it just sick? Maybe I should dip it or both in Coral Rx for safe measure? They have been in the tank for over a week now.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Thank you

20240328_083253.jpg 20240328_084306.jpg 20240328_084312.jpg 20240328_084320.jpg

OP
OP
C

crash_wheeler

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The browning on the rights seems to be getting less light. However, it seems like it's bleaching where the light is hitting it. These are my first two pieces of coral. I think it is a Rhodactis indosinensis (Neon Green/Purple Hairy Mushroom). Not sure though.

Upvote 0

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I think move both to lower light .medium flow.

Upvote 1

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
going to say no RX at this point, lugols if you got it yes

Upvote 1
OP
OP
C

crash_wheeler

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do not have Lugols. I will order some.

I moved them both 2 inches lower. I also put them in a 30% shadow so light is not directly hitting them. More indirect.

Current Parameters:
Amonia-0
Nitrate-0
Nitrite-0
Ph-8.2

My salinity appears to be a little higher than I like at 1.0265 (Possibly 1.027) but I don't want to dilute it to quickly and cause an imbalance in the system. I will start bringing it down a little at a time.

Upvote 0

slogan315

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Will reef roids give them a boost og nutrients?
If they consume the reef roids it will. Otherwise, you’re waiting for pods or other things to consume the reef roids, adding nitrate and phosphate to the water.

I tried to run a coral only nano for a few months with only feeding reef roids. The corals that actually consumed the food did really well. The corals that were too sick (this was also my recovery tank) and didn’t consume the food struggled. This is because even though I was feeding heavy, my nitrates and phosphates were low.

Edit: The nano took off when I added a fish and just started feeding the fish.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
C

crash_wheeler

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a decent pod population (see them on the glass).

I have 9 fish at the moment.

Reef roids was delivered yesterday. My wife must have grabbed the package. I didn't even realize it had been delivered.

Upvote 0

slogan315

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have a decent pod population (see them on the glass).

I have 9 fish at the moment.

Reef roids was delivered yesterday. My wife must have grabbed the package. I didn't even realize it had been delivered.
Not sure how big the tank or what filtration you have, but you should have some nutrients in there!

Yes give reef roids a try. My mushrooms love it. Turn off flow. Mix some with tank water, and target feed. I typically leave flow off until they have consumed it all. 10-30 minutes

Upvote 0
OP
OP
C

crash_wheeler

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure how big the tank or what filtration you have, but you should have some nutrients in there!

Yes give reef roids a try. My mushrooms love it. Turn off flow. Mix some with tank water, and target feed. I typically leave flow off until they have consumed it all. 10-30 minutes
125 Gallon
~120 - 160lbs of live rock
Fluval FX6 - Eheim PreFilter
Water changes every 2 to 4 weeks
Feeding the fish 3 times a day

I will try target feeding

Thanks again for the feedback

Upvote 0
OP
OP
C

crash_wheeler

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It would appear Reef Roids = Cleaner Shrimp Cat Nip.

Spot fed. Cleaner shrimp pounced after a few minutes.

Now I will wait and see it it starts looking a little better.

Upvote 0

Peair

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I received a Mushroom Grab Bag from Blue Zoo - A little underwhelming to be completely transparent. These 4 tiny things are the first coral I have added to my tank. I have not had coral for 20 years so it's safe to say I am internet educated at this point.

Out of the 4 items I received only two remain. They have survived so far because they were larger than the pea sized items that I received with it. There was a pea sized ones that was very cool but it was so small that it floated into my pre filter for a night and looked to have lost their color.

I digress. The one mushroom (yet to officially be identified) seems to be happy where it is at so far (the one with the green bubble looking spots)

The largest of the items added doesn't seem to be doing well (The pinkish/white one with the tentacles) . Should this (unidentified coral) look like this or should I move it to somewhere with more/less light? Is it just sick? Maybe I should dip it or both in Coral Rx for safe measure? They have been in the tank for over a week now.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Thank you

20240328_083253.jpg 20240328_084306.jpg 20240328_084312.jpg 20240328_084320.jpg
I don't know what is going on with Blue Zoo, he use to be very good about 10 years ago when I used him, now I am hearing he is selling pea sized everything, and they do not last, give him a call or message him, he did help in the past.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
C

crash_wheeler

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know what is going on with Blue Zoo, he use to be very good about 10 years ago when I used him, now I am hearing he is selling pea sized everything, and they do not last, give him a call or message him, he did help in the past.
It was a free add on so I can't complain too much. However, it turned me off to the idea of buying one because the size was so small. They advertised correctly as they list them as tiny. But they are very tiny.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
C

crash_wheeler

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good morning. I wanted to post a follow-up/update as it drives me a little crazy when people just drop a thread to the floor after getting input.

This is how we are looking after two target feedings of Reef Roids.

Side Note: The coralline algae in my aquarium appears to have increased by 20 - 25% since adding the Reef Roids. Thought is was worth mentioning for those trying for it. What's in my tank has just magically appeared over time.

Attachments

• 17119755814267450321692951508408.jpg
    17119755814267450321692951508408.jpg
    159.7 KB · Views: 30
Upvote 0

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back