Blueface Angel

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all.

Looking into a juv blueface angel. Wondering if anyone has experience with these? I know pretty much all angels eat coral… just wondering if anyone has one in a reef tank? I really only keep nems, zoas, mushrooms and monti corals, and some frog spawn.

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all.

Looking into a juv blueface angel. Wondering if anyone has experience with these? I know pretty much all angels eat coral… just wondering if anyone has one in a reef tank? I really only keep nems, zoas, mushrooms and monti corals, and some frog spawn.
If we can assume a blue face is similar to other angels the corals you have should be ok .but the blue face is one I have never had .
My next is going to be a queen and blue ring

alton

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just checking back to see if you purchased the BF juvenile? Sub Adults and adults are more reef safe than juveniles. Either way Zoo's a no go when wanting to keep angels

Cajun86

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had one for a few years. The one in my avatar pic :) Had him in a 250gal fowlr. Got him when he was very small like maybe 2" Grew to about 5" Dude ate EVERY zoanthid i tried to add to the tank. Didn't try any other coral If the zoas would have been in there before him maybe not would have eaten them? Dunno. Awesome fish! Miss him a lot. Good luck, fingers crossed for you!

o2manyfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've kept them in a fish only. I recently had a friend who decided to switch from full reef to angels. He picked up an adult blue face, and it just started annihilating the zoas within mins of the tank.

Blue Face is in the Pomacanthus group of angels. And their behavior as a group is pretty similar. I've had Chrysurus that lived happily in a fully packed reef and then after a few months wiped out a colony of 500+ royal blue zoas, but didn't touch and of the others of thousands of heads of zoas in the tank.

I had an Imperator - from Juvenile to adult in one of the outdoor frag tanks - It was perfectly behaved with SPS and Zoas.

I have an imperator slowly changing to adult - it's great with SPS. But with Zoa's he tears them off the rocks - not to eat them but to find the sponge underneath. He also rips apart elegance corals. And if he is in the mood when torches are not fully inflated and just limply waking up will randomly tear tentacles from the torch. Not all. But 1-4 per morning.

With all fish, the fish will make all the difference - and you could get one that is a perfect citizen. But the odds are not in your favor.

Dave B

OP
OP
littlefoxx

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just checking back to see if you purchased the BF juvenile? Sub Adults and adults are more reef safe than juveniles. Either way Zoo's a no go when wanting to keep angels
Yes I got a juv! Shes been in my tank a few days now. Had an issue with my bristletooth being a bully but theyve figured it out! She hasnt touched any corals yet. Shes about an inch and a half to two inches! We shall see how she behaves with corals haha

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all.

The blue face is one of the few angels that is only good in an SPS reef. Most softies and LPS are on the menu (especially mushrooms and zoas) most of the time.

OP
OP
littlefoxx

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The blue face is one of the few angels that is only good in an SPS reef. Most softies and LPS are on the menu (especially mushrooms and zoas) most of the time.
Ah good to know! My zoa and mushroom dominated reef is in my 70 gallon so I wanted to do something different with my big tank so that works out well!

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I got a juv! Shes been in my tank a few days now. Had an issue with my bristletooth being a bully but theyve figured it out! She hasnt touched any corals yet. Shes about an inch and a half to two inches! We shall see how she behaves with corals haha
Just wait… a few days is nothing to bring out coral eaters.
Wait a few weeks and you may have an answer but even then it could be reef safe until she matures.

OP
OP
littlefoxx

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just wait… a few days is nothing to bring out coral eaters.
Wait a few weeks and you may have an answer but even then it could be reef safe until she matures.
Yep haha but shes beautiful so not sure what lll do if shes a coral eater

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep haha but shes beautiful so not sure what lll do if shes a coral eater
Get one of these beauties!
I just need to finish the collection and get an 8’ tank to get a Xanthometopon.
B5904D08-2737-446B-A936-E6E92C9AC652.jpeg

FA200858-AE15-4535-826C-98F95F126615.jpeg

alton

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are very few guaranteed fish that will not eat a certain coral. I sold a purple tang once to someone and for what ever reason it destroyed $200 worth of coral before it could be rehomed to an eel tank. I am biased because I love fish over coral, so I find coral that get along with my fish. The regal in the picture below likes SPS polyps. I have had him for about five years, a year a ago I quit trying to keep SPS.
bf regal 2023.jpg

OP
OP
littlefoxx

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get one of these beauties!
I just need to finish the collection and get an 8’ tank to get a Xanthometopon.
B5904D08-2737-446B-A936-E6E92C9AC652.jpeg

FA200858-AE15-4535-826C-98F95F126615.jpeg
Beautiful! Angels are the reason I got into saltwater in the first place!

OP
OP
littlefoxx

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are very few guaranteed fish that will not eat a certain coral. I sold a purple tang once to someone and for what ever reason it destroyed $200 worth of coral before it could be rehomed to an eel tank. I am biased because I love fish over coral, so I find coral that get along with my fish. The regal in the picture below likes SPS polyps. I have had him for about five years, a year a ago I quit trying to keep SPS.
bf regal 2023.jpg
Those two are beautiful!! And yes I agree, I get corals that my fish are good with not the other way around. How big of a tank do you have for both of those?? I want a regal too but not sure if mine is big enough for both. Its a 125

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those two are beautiful!! And yes I agree, I get corals that my fish are good with not the other way around. How big of a tank do you have for both of those?? I want a regal too but not sure if mine is big enough for both. Its a 125
In a 125 you could definitely have a regal but be cautious as the Xantho may become boisterous towards the regal.

OP
OP
littlefoxx

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In a 125 you could definitely have a regal but be cautious as the Xantho may become boisterous towards the regal.
Ah okay. Since I added the blueface a couple days ago as a juv, would I be good to add the regal sooner rather than later, and bigger?

alton

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I down sized to a 180. I made the mistake of down sizing from a 310 to a 120, so I quickly corrected that mistake. With my busy life the 310 was too much. The sad part I kept the regal and flame angel trio, but had to sell the BF pair and Chrysurus.
full tank 1-1-2020r.jpg

IMG_0749.jpg

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.9%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 57 55.9%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 31 30.4%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 8 7.8%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.9%
Back