Bluespot jawfish - too difficult?

Philip Chin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have kept many different types of jawfishes and the blue spotted is the only one that I have failed. Had five of them and all of them went carpet surfing and became fish jerky. They also prefer cooler waters. Sticking to pearly jaws, tiger jaws and duskies!! I had very good and tight covers too. Kept all the other jawfishes in except the blue spotted. good luck!

OP
OP
J

joec

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone know about how long it a takes for yellowhead jawfish juveniles (1.5-2inch) to grow to adult size? Do they grow quickly?

alton

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What I have learned over the years trying to raise them and then just keeping them;
No two are alike, you can keep multiple females but you will learn real fast if you have two males.
If your store has two in a tank together it does not mean they are a pair.
Buy smaller younger looking individuals, DD is a great place to view this and POTO has a nice looking one on their Wrasse Video. Smaller individuals ship and acclimate much better than older mature same as any other fish.
They like rubble and sand, not just sand they love building and maintaining their homes.
Covered tanks, if there is a crack somewhere they will find it before they get real comfortable and especially while in QT. A jawfish will make it through a 1/4" gap, I found out the hard way this week while quarantining one for a friend.
The following two pictures are first Dr. Jekyl, loved to be in my tank loved attention but every six months or so he would go ballistic for what ever reason, once he ended up in the overflow. He built an entry hole and a escape hole and used them while he cruised my tank. I lost him due to my tank getting too warm using MH after two+ years he got the dreaded white patch .
The second picture is the one I have now, never comes out of their home very personable, I had to move him/her once in my new office tank and in both tanks its home is in the fron where it can watch me and others come into my office. Good luck on your adventure on getting one.

BS in GSP 5-13-14 resized R.jpg

JF 4-6-18.JPG

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 64 31.5%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 53 26.1%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 42 20.7%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 42 20.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back