bluestripe pipefish feeding

Kremis

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all, I purched a bluestripe pipefish a few days ago for my 28 gallon. So far he has not really shown any interest in any foods i ahve tried to feed him (cyclops, frozen adult brine) but I am currently hatching baby brine to try to see if he will eat that. he goes around eating pods all day. There is basically 0 competition for him because there are no other pod eaters in the tank (only garden eels)
what are the best foods to feed these guys? and I know that since they are pipefish they should be fed a few times per day, right? I was looking at someone (i think paul b) who made like a baby brine shrimp fish diner. would something like that be beneficial and how would I go about setting that up ?

leahfiish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Baby brine is a good food to try, or you can buy bottles or packages of live copepods. You can also culture your own in a seperate tank.

YellowFinsReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you can find nutramar ova, it's a really good product. Otherwise, LRS fish eggs can be good too, although it is a bit pricey.

Skimmer Juice

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my pair ended up eating mysis after about a week . And now they eat almost anything I put in there. But like most people recommend getting some pods until it takes frozen , can you get any reef nutrition products ?
Also if you are in USA you could try the Algen foods from liveaquaria.com

fishnchip

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a little off topic but where did you guys get your bluestripes from?

oceanrider

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
new bluestripes pipefishes often only eat copepods, which is their natural food. They are opportunistic predators, so in the ocean they would readily eat the plankton . IE....larvae of any kind of shrimp, lobster, fish fry ( small larvae fish), large rotifers, even fish eggs etc.

In the aquarium they prefer copepods. But if they see other fish eat artic pods, mysis, brine shrimp, nutramar ova, etc, then they can go after them.

I have even heard of some pipes go after pellet foods. LOL But that is rare.

Be careful of just feeding baby brine shrimp, unless they are freshly hatched. since the nutrition parameters are less . ie they have less Highly unsaturated Fatty Acids and omega 3 fatty acids.

try to soak other types of food and target feed near them, and perhaps slowly they will learn.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 23 35.4%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 10.8%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 22 33.8%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 11 16.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.1%
Back