Bluewave 7 Dual M80 Ballast Troubleshooting

rc1626

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had this ballast for quite some time. I have used it on and off over the years. Just hooked it up the other day and both Radium bulbs fired up. Yesterday I noticed one bulb fired but the other did not initially. A couple of minutes later and it fired up.
Today the one side fired as usual (bottom outlet) but the top is now a no go. It won't fire at all.
Looking for someone on here who might have some experience with them.
Could it be just the ignitor for that side?
I opened it up and there are two small round ignitors and two larger capacitors I believe. I've attached a pic.
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks.

20171203_192945.jpg

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it a dual 250W Blue Wave?
The problem is probably with the ignitor.
We need an expert here to help this!!

Taking advantage... I would love to see a diagram of the M80 dual Blue Wave ballast because I just bought one and it doesn't have the switch. I didn't get it yet, so I can't open it and check it out now. I believe it would be a 12ov switch. I think it was a green backlit switch.

rc1626: could you please post couple pictures where the connection and the switch is located from inside of the ballast?
Also, please post pictures of the sticker situated outside of your ballast, showing the type of ballast and wattage, would you? That would help whoever wants to take a look and decide how you will figure out what's going on with your ballast.
Man, your ballast looks brand new!;)
Thanks,
Grandis.

Last edited:

3mm3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had this happen on an old pfo. Turned out to be the capacitor. Can you see any swelling or deformation?

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it a dual 250W Blue Wave?
The problem is probably with the ignitor.
We need an expert here to help this!!

Taking advantage... I would love to see a diagram of the M80 dual Blue Wave ballast because I just bought one and it doesn't have the switch. I didn't get it yet, so I can't open it and check it out now. I believe it would be a 12ov switch. I think it was a green backlit switch.

rc1626: could you please post couple pictures where the connection and the switch is located from inside of the ballast?
Also, please post pictures of the sticker situated outside of your ballast, showing the type of ballast and wattage, would you? That would help whoever wants to take a look and decide how you will figure out what's going on with your ballast.
Man, your ballast looks brand new!;)
Thanks,
Grandis.
I didn't pay attention to the title... it's a dual M80 Blue Wave 7 just like mine..
Grandis.

OP
OP
rc1626

rc1626

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This particular version of the ballast did not have a switch although I've heard they did make one with one. Newer or older than mine........not sure. As you can see from the sticker on the unit this one says Dec. 1, 2007.
As for a swelling capacitor, I'm going to have to open it again to take a look. Was the swelling very noticeable?
Good thing is Hamilton carries both parts so I might just order both and have a backup on each.
Thankfully I still have a coupe of AquaMedic 250 watt cubes that I'm able to use.

20171203_210156.jpg

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks!
Mine was from October 2005 and didn't say "made in China".
The one I got showed wires coming from the top of the ballast (probably for timer(?)).
Do you have the hole for the switch open? Mine has.
More pics please..
Grandis.

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found some pictures of mine:

This picture shows the top of the ballast. I think this is the place for the timer.
s-l1600_zpsfmmyojym.jpg

s-l1600-1_zpsfqtxxurz.jpg

s-l1600-2_zpsusfxysff.jpg

The switch is missing and the rubber that holds the wire is missing.
Does yours look like this too?
Grandis.

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the pics!
Yeah, they changed the outlet of the ballast I've bought to connect directly to their fixtures.
Mine has a switch though (top square hole).
I just have to hope they left the original parts inside of the ballast or they are sending them in the mail with the ballast.
But I'm sure I'll be able to find replacements for them...
Let's wait and see if the halide experts will show up here to give us some help.
Thanks again!
Anyone else have those BW7s?
Grandis.

3mm3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Capacitors that I have personally seen fail over the years showed swelling and discoloration at the top near wires. Not always the case though. If wires and connections are good its really down to caps or igniter. I would start with capacitors as they seem to be the first to fail. Just my opinion.

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d say ignitor. I have add ignitors fail never a capasitor. Bought replacements at Hamilton.
I agree, as I've posted on post # 2, but I'm not an expert and we are waiting for him/her...
;)
I'm not sure if Hamilton would replace parts from a Sunlight Supply ballast. But that would be a great idea!!!
Grandis.

Stlouphil

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree, as I've posted on post # 2, but I'm not an expert and we are waiting for him/her...
;)
I'm not sure if Hamilton would replace parts from a Sunlight Supply ballast. But that would be a great idea!!!
Grandis.
They do. A M80 ballast is a M80 ballast. Never had a problem.

OP
OP
rc1626

rc1626

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hamilton has both the capacitors and ignitors for the m80 ballast on their site.
Update on my ballast. I took out both capacitors for inspection. Niether looked to have any deformities or have any other visual issues. I did notice that one of the connectors on one of the capacitors was fairly loose. I checked and tightened them all up and upon first attempt both bulbs fired again. Time will tell if this ultimately fixed my problem.
It's good to know that their still are parts out there if needed.

3mm3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hamilton has both the capacitors and ignitors for the m80 ballast on their site.
Update on my ballast. I took out both capacitors for inspection. Niether looked to have any deformities or have any other visual issues. I did notice that one of the connectors on one of the capacitors was fairly loose. I checked and tightened them all up and upon first attempt both bulbs fired again. Time will tell if this ultimately fixed my problem.

Good to hear loose connection was found!

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice!
More pics, please!
I didn't get mine yet. It's gonna take a while to come...
Grandis.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 60 38.5%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 22.4%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.8%
Back