Blurry/cloudy tank question

Rp8

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so going thru a start up cycle, tank has been set up 3 weeks. Water parameters:
Nitrates .25
Nitrite 0
Ammonia 0
Ph 7.6 I know low
Cal 440
Mag 1350
Temp 77.5
Salinity 1.022

That said, working on getting the salinity up slowly. Using instant ocean reef salt. I have a good diatom bloom going. Used dr Tim's one and done and instant ocean nitrifying bac at start up.

The tank is just blurry. Not so much cloudy. Unsure if my salt mix is doing it. I mix the recommended level and let a pwr head mix for hours until it's clear. Then add it in and BOOM, blurry water.
Any suggestions?

Picture below, not gunna apologize for the pic, that's how it looks lol
20210628_155437.jpg

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the cycle portion is done, at 3 weeks Dr Tims has been ready a while and the testers barely start to show it around now, so that part is set. you can do either a full water change to instate clarity or run carbon in a filter to filter out suspended items, could be solids or bac not a problem either way and a common variance in tank cycles. no degree of cleaning or water change work you do from here on out affects the cycle, it stays as long as surfaces stay wet. it cannot be starved either. wet equals permanently cycled, so clean as you will.

your next most important choice is fish disease preps yay or nay. the fish disease forum would say yay

the cloud can be from the blast of initial ammonia we're told to add, or it can be rock curing + bright lights, or sand particles, all common variances in the new dry rock tank.

tjohnson3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try running carbon (chemipure works wonders), leave the lights off for a few days/week in case of bacterial bloom (I’ve had it, it goes away), also… your power heads are awful low in the tank and that looks to be sand, not aragonite… could possibly be kicking it up and not allowing it to settle. Or if you really wanna kick it, a good UV sterilizer will do the trick

OP
OP
Rp8

Rp8

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was this photo after a water change?
IO does this to me after adding water to the aquarium. Clears in a couple of hours.
This was when I got home. No added water
Try running carbon (chemipure works wonders), leave the lights off for a few days/week in case of bacterial bloom (I’ve had it, it goes away), also… your power heads are awful low in the tank and that looks to be sand, not aragonite… could possibly be kicking it up and not allowing it to settle. Or if you really wanna kick it, a good UV sterilizer will do the trick
I've been cutting lights off and on every couple days trying to keep the algae build up low
the cycle portion is done, at 3 weeks Dr Tims has been ready a while and the testers barely start to show it around now, so that part is set. you can do either a full water change to instate clarity or run carbon in a filter to filter out suspended items, could be solids or bac not a problem either way and a common variance in tank cycles. no degree of cleaning or water change work you do from here on out affects the cycle, it stays as long as surfaces stay wet. it cannot be starved either. wet equals permanently cycled, so clean as you will.

your next most important choice is fish disease preps yay or nay. the fish disease forum would say yay

the cloud can be from the blast of initial ammonia we're told to add, or it can be rock curing + bright lights, or sand particles, all common variances in the new dry rock tank.
I put in new higher micron filter and 2 stage filter floss before return pump. So I mix my water in a large container, then fill a 5 gallon bucket. On the last bucket there was a thin white film. What causes that when mixing? And could that be the culprit?

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
This was when I got home. No added water

I've been cutting lights off and on every couple days trying to keep the algae build up low

I put in new higher micron filter and 2 stage filter floss before return pump. So I mix my water in a large container, then fill a 5 gallon bucket. On the last bucket there was a thin white film. What causes that when mixing? And could that be the culprit?
I have never had that happen. No idea what would cause it.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the water is being circulated while salt is slowly added that should mix well, not sure beyond that

OP
OP
Rp8

Rp8

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, so it's hot here. My mixing station is in the garage, and I noticed today that when I mix it and leave it over night there was algae already growing. And I've been topping off with algae infested water. So now I'm gunna just make water, then bring it inside to mix. And switch it out then. Want a uv for years, been told no for years. So frustrated. Hopefully, a 30% change will knock it down and clear it up. Thoughts?

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 13 27.7%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 39 83.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 14.9%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 3 6.4%
  • Other

Votes: 2 4.3%
Back