OP
OP
Bob Lauson

Bob Lauson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This aquarium was designed for our previous house which would have enabled viewing from four sides so the overflow was in the middle. In the picture below there one tube for the durso return, one for the feedwater, and one as a conduit for the light support and wiring.
35432470a43b547c1806706acca6968c.jpg

0d4d2853a0851e7d67319e7444418521.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Bob Lauson

Bob Lauson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have posted in other areas but thought I would update our original build thread here as well. The aquarium in the video was awesome....coralline algae all over, no algae issue, survived Dino’s. Then a power outage while out of town in Feb 2019. By the time we got home the aquarium temp was down to 60 deg F or so. I was able to get a generator and get the aquarium back online but it took 24 hours. Lost some beautiful corals which was really sad since they were awesome. It’s now Sep 2019 and we’ve gone through some ugly phases again - some algae, loss of a lot of coraline algae, a minor Dino outbreak, some red cyno but we are recovering. To be honest it is sooooooooo frustrating to have a nice established and thriving aquarium and go back to the uglies. But I love the living art aspect of the aquarium as well as the science involved in keeping it going. The picture below is where it is at today and looks decent. I made some mistakes originally like buying mushrooms again ( which I promised myself I would not do). I also bought an anemone which the clown fish love but it has split 5 times and I have had to remove three of them and give to my LFS. I have also added a few more acros and am looking forward to the reboot.

We actually lost power again last week and after 1-1/2 hours I connected the generator because I didn’t believe the power company would actually get the power fixed as their web site said . 10 hours later power was restored.

B5628D32-C777-43B2-9129-252F473EC9B3.jpeg

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have posted in other areas but thought I would update our original build thread here as well. The aquarium in the video was awesome....coralline algae all over, no algae issue, survived Dino’s. Then a power outage while out of town in Feb 2019. By the time we got home the aquarium temp was down to 60 deg F or so. I was able to get a generator and get the aquarium back online but it took 24 hours. Lost some beautiful corals which was really sad since they were awesome. It’s now Sep 2019 and we’ve gone through some ugly phases again - some algae, loss of a lot of coraline algae, a minor Dino outbreak, some red cyno but we are recovering. To be honest it is sooooooooo frustrating to have a nice established and thriving aquarium and go back to the uglies. But I love the living art aspect of the aquarium as well as the science involved in keeping it going. The picture below is where it is at today and looks decent. I made some mistakes originally like buying mushrooms again ( which I promised myself I would not do). I also bought an anemone which the clown fish love but it has split 5 times and I have had to remove three of them and give to my LFS. I have also added a few more acros and am looking forward to the reboot.

We actually lost power again last week and after 1-1/2 hours I connected the generator because I didn’t believe the power company would actually get the power fixed as their web site said . 10 hours later power was restored.

B5628D32-C777-43B2-9129-252F473EC9B3.jpeg
Man, sounds like you guys have been through it, but the tank looks great!

OP
OP
Bob Lauson

Bob Lauson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
15 years of reefing and one day, my clam bit the dust overnight. Not sure what happened but am reaching out to my LFS to get his thoughts.

45A128C9-46F7-4C04-88B1-89AA78AD4B89.jpeg

OP
OP
Bob Lauson

Bob Lauson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First time buying from this LFS but he seemed reputable. Mostly does home and business aquarium services and retail is by appointment only. I will say he has been very responsive and we have been going back and forth about water parameters and possible reasons for the issue. Our latest theory is an air bubble that was ingested that the clam could not deal with .

Last edited:

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 15 18.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 3 3.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 13 16.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 41 51.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 10.0%
Back