Bodianus Neopercularis

TheRealDmorty217

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
image.jpeg
Looking for first hand experience with this hogfish. I have read they get more aggressive with size and don't take well to wrasse in particular. My main question/concern is will the fish attack new additions that are smaller? I have heard accounts of it attacking smaller fish when larger? Don't want to put something in my tank I will never be able to get out again

davescrews

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a B. opercularis that was in my reef for around 9 months with the same tank mates. One day while at work my wife called me in a panic, he had killed a purple tang, a spot face tang, two Bartletts anthis and was in the process of beating everything else in the tank to death. I hardly believed her and rushed home to try and save what I could. When I arrived he was still ramming all the other inhabitants slamming them into the rock and glass. This fish had hardly shown any aggression until that afternoon.

OP
OP
TheRealDmorty217

TheRealDmorty217

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is not what I want to hear! Sounds like I will be passing on this guy. How large was the hogfish when it started killing everything

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At about 4' their behavior goes from being able to take care of themselves to being a bully with a short fuse.

ultimatemj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have B.opercularis and can share both good and bad.

The bad, when maturing from juvi to adult he bullied and killed my C.johnsoni.

That said, the johnsoni is a fairy and very timid.

Today the opercularis lives in peace with a H.cosmetus and some other small fish (clown goby, guam chromis, mandarin, lightening clown, & bangaii cardianl).

The other thing worth noting, I'm 90% sure he is the one that ate all the decorative shrimp in the tank (cleaner, sexy, anemone, etc)....and hermits...and small snails. Granted, I'm sure the cosmetus joined in to finish the job.

In the end, beautiful fish for the right mix of inhabitants~
candy-jpg.297225

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Beautiful fish!

Making themselves at home: Have you intentionally done anything in your aquarium to enhance the natural behavior of your fish?

• I planned my tank to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 27 27.6%
  • I did some things to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 33 33.7%
  • Anything that encourages natural fish behavior was a byproduct of the aquascaping.

Votes: 16 16.3%
  • I did not do anything to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 19 19.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.1%
Back