Boiling Eggs

Capt.Nemo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Started running my first sump a few days ago. Everything seems to be running right. I have a Durso pipe and the tank is drilled on the bottom. Took a few minutes but I believe I have the return pushing water back up at same rate as siphon. It is a full siphon as return was emptying chamber real fast.
Anyway.... with system running, it sounds like hard boiled eggs in a pot. Sound seems to be originating right where water drains into sump at filter socks. Ideas what I can do?
20190905_122420.jpg

Silver14SS

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are those bubbles where it drains? If so sounds like your drain line may be sucking down air.

OP
OP
Capt.Nemo

Capt.Nemo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's a full siphon. I dont think its sucking air, it's more like white water. Water is just rushing real fast out of tube. There is no air bubbles anywhere else in system

Silver14SS

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pics of how you have the drains in the overflow setup? Is the drain outlet submerged? If it's getting air bubbles in the water, air is coming from somewhere.

Do you have a Durso or is it a full siphon? Durso's draw in air by design.

1567723701606.png

A Herbie or Bean Animal drain setup uses a full siphon primary drain.

1567723739913.png

OP
OP
Capt.Nemo

Capt.Nemo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, Durso. I feel like that is where the noise comes from. How do I get the water level up in that area to submerge the outlet? I am not running filter sock yet, would that restrict the water flow out of that area just enough to keep that under water?

OP
OP
Capt.Nemo

Capt.Nemo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have added a few more gallons but the intake chamber is not holding it there. The guy I bought system from was not having this issue. His fate valve was closed down just a smidge, but when i try that, the return chamber empties too fast.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 27.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 32 36.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 26 29.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 6 6.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.1%
Back