Bonsai, other A. valida, or..?

looselyhuman

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Sep 5, 2022
Messages
7
Reaction score
1
Location
High Desert
What state or country do you live in
New Mexico
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi. See pic. I had this in my old reef in 2016. I am not sure where I picked it up.

I don't remember buying either a Bonsai or tricolor valida, but my memory is not great.

For awhile I had it in my head that it was a tenuis from reefgardener, but I was probably smoking something when I made that link.

Anyway, I want one again. I love the super light coloration, which behind the green polyps almost looks lime-colored.

This was grown/taken under T5/LED hybrid.

Thanks!

20160615_150610.jpg
 
That looks identical to my BC Secale.
Wow yeah. I'm pretty certain I've never heard of it (I'm not big on names obviously) but it could easily be. Close enough for me to add it to my wishlist. Thank you!
I don't believe that to be a tri-color valida
Yeah I mean I know that's why I asked. ;) Edit I guess I didn't actually say in my message that others (local reef shop) have thought it was a bonsai or tricolor. Sorry. Thanks for the input!
 
Tri-color/bonsai describes a few different species, but is often associated with A. valida mostly, but secale, nana and cerealis can be lumped in there as well.
 
Wow yeah. I'm pretty certain I've never heard of it (I'm not big on names obviously) but it could easily be. Close enough for me to add it to my wishlist. Thank you!

Yeah I mean I know that's why I asked. ;) Edit I guess I didn't actually say in my message that others (local reef shop) have thought it was a bonsai or tricolor. Sorry. Thanks for the input!
Yeah, "reef shop thinks everything with purple and green is a Garf Bonsai or Valida" is a pretty common problem. IDs are hard, especially when flow/light/etc can change growth forms.
 
Valida, nana, and secale are very difficult to distinguish in reef tanks in my opinion. But unless you’re spawning them, it probably doesn’t matter.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 4 3.3%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 9 7.4%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 24 19.8%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 37 30.6%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 0.8%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 10 8.3%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 10 8.3%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 17 14.0%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 9 7.4%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new