Booker's 210

booker1978

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had this setup going for a little over a year now, but being a new contributor to this forum I thought I would document the setup and how it has changed to were we are today.

Two years ago, the wife told me to go pick up a fish for my little 2 year old (at the time) and I came back with our first 16 gallon saltwater tank. It wasn't to far after that that we got the bug and started looking bigger. To commemorate our 1st year as a "saltwater family" we thought what a better way to celebrate than upgrade it by 200 gallons!

The first major change that I had to conquer was to rip up the old crappy 1996 builders grade carpet and replace it with concrete acid stain. This was my first attempt at concrete staining and in the end it turned out fantastic... but the process nearly killed me... both figuratively and literally. Let's just say that I am glad that there were no witnesses and/or cameras present when I had my first experience with an industrial floor polisher. I'm just thankful I still have my arms!

Here is a picture of a before shot of the surprises under the crappy carpet:
Bare Cement Floor.jpg
And Now the After:
New Stained Concrete.jpg

Overall, very please with the results. Once the floor was finished, we could take delivery of the beast.

Last edited:
OP
OP
booker1978

booker1978

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is the beast with all of the gory details.

Tank: 210 gallon MarineLand 72"x 24" x 30"
Stand: Wood Stand with custom doors attached by magnets Stained Black
Canopy: DIY built pine canopy stained in black
Sump: Custom 85 gallon sump built by Melev's Reef
Lighting: 3 Hydra 52 LED fixtures
ATO Container: Custom 16 Gallon ATO Container made by Melev's Reef
Skimmer: Lifereef Skimmer (A BEAST!!!)
Return Pump: Jaebo DCT12000 DC Pump
Manifold Pump: Ehiem compact+ 2000
Carbon Reactor: Nextreef MR-1 Reactor w/ BRS Rox 0.8 Carbon
Apex System w/ 2 Energy bars plus WXM, AWM, ALD w/ 4 sensors, breakout box, Auto Feeder w/ custom float box by Melev's Reef
Flow: 3 Ecotech MP40s & 1 MP10 in refugium area
Refugium Light: Floralux mini 150 wat HPS Light
Auto Water Exchange: Spectrapure LiterMeter III
Dosing: Bubble Magus BM-T01 Dosing Pump w/ 3 Dosing Containers
Frag Tank: 20 gallon Aqueon w/ Glass-holes Super Nano con Dientes overflow plumbed into main tank

IMG_0250.JPG

And the Sump Area:
IMG_0254.jpg
I plan on going into more detail about each part of my tank in upcoming updates, along with the occasional updates of what is going on or being added to it. Thanks for reading!

bobman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice work man. Excellent job on the floor never seen something like that. I have to replace my floors soon might look into something like this.

OP
OP
booker1978

booker1978

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice work man. Excellent job on the floor never seen something like that. I have to replace my floors soon might look into something like this.

Thanks! The wife and I were happy with how it turned out also. The hardest part was the prep work as everything had to come off of the bare concrete as all contaminants will show through the stain. Throwing down the stain and sealant was the easiest part.

OP
OP
booker1978

booker1978

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Automatic water changes are the best. Awesome set up

I totally agree! The Litermeter was a birthday present to myself a few months back. I love not having to lug the brute trash can around anymore. Plus my corals are happier!!!!

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 18 7.8%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 40 17.4%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 155 67.4%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 4.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.6%
Back